Wednesday, June 10, 2020

4 down, 6 to go: This was supposed to be #7

For over 2 years, I left the 1973 Topps want list on my blog sitting at two cards.  The price of both was the sticking point for me pretty much every time I decided to look for either of the cards that were needed to finish it up.

Then 3 weeks ago, I found a checklist I liked, card #588 finally came home.  Today, you get to see the other half of the long awaited duo.


I stalled for a long time on this card, largely because I couldn't find one that I liked that was reasonably priced.   I was patient, very patient.  I would see cards in worse condition, much worse, that were priced too high.   I found copies that were slightly better than this, but priced well over $100, which was more than I was willing to pay.

Two weeks ago, during the long weekend, for some reason I went hunting again.  I found this copy.  $63.75.  I could handle the price, and the condition was good enough for me.  I put it in the cart, and didn't look at it again for 2 days.  I talked to my wife about it, and she actually talked me into purchasing it noting that I really had been spending less lately on cards because of my self-imposed hiatus on pack purchases.

1973 Topps, is now done!!!  I said that I would finish it this year, and kept my word.

The elation I felt was almost as good as when I finished the '64 set by picking up Luis Aparicio as the last card.

Almost....

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

6 comments:

  1. I hate this card.

    Congratulations on your set completion though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one set collector to another, congratulations to you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Getting that card for under $70 is a sweet deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I actually gave up my dream of owning this set a few weeks ago. I should have picked one up a few years ago, but waited too long. These days, I just can't justify spending that kind of dough on a set.

    P.S. Super cool that your wife supported you on this purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice bargain! So great to kill a set. Pretty sure I paid about double that for one that's not that much better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not bad, condition wise and price wise. One day maybe I'll own a copy. Congratulations on completing the set!

    ReplyDelete