Friday, June 19, 2020

Lay-Z

I took last night off of the blog, just to relax and not think about cards.  Today, I have a bunch of scans that I don't even want to take the time to go into detail about.  So, what I'm going to do is post scans and then write something in between sports related, and hopefully somewhat entertaining.  Instead of Jay-Z, I'm going to be Lay-Z.



First up, I've watched the Premier League both on Wednesday and today.  Enjoyed the matches that I've been able to sit and watch so far.  Smart marketing as well, using the empty seats to put tarps over for advertising revenue.  Gotta make use of that space somehow, right Premier League?


I also like the Black Lives Matter monikers on the jersey this weekend, and the players and officials in solidarity kneeling at the beginning of matches in support of the movement.  It is time everyone listened, because Roger Goodell said it correctly "we made a mistake in not listening the last time".  If you do protest in your community, please do it safely.


Found out this afternoon that COVID-19 has shut down the Tampa Bay Lightning training complex, and that a couple of players have tested positive.   I wonder if Toronto, who was being strongly considered to be the eastern hub for the NHL postseason, might be off the radar because of this.  It's going to be interesting to see how things progress over the next few days.


Also, I have heard that the NFL is probably not going to run the Hall of Fame game at the beginning of August.   I was under the impression that they were going to drop a game or 2 off the preseason schedule, or am I mistaken.  While I like the HOF game at the beginning of August, this might be the year that the NFL rethinks the HOF ceremony and puts it closer to the start of the season, maybe at the end of August.


NBA players are going to be wearing rings that can detect the symptoms/beginnings of COVID-19 2-3 days in advance.  Is this for real?  Or did I just dream that.  I've also read that some players are balking at coming to Orlando to finish the season.  With all that's going on in Tampa and Clearwater now, I can't say that I blame them...


Folks, I truly love baseball.  Have loved it since April of 1977, when my 4th grade teacher wheeled a TV into the classroom and turned on the first Blue Jays game ever.

This craziness that's going on right now between the owners and players really needs to end, because there's a lot of people that are just tired of it.  Play 70 games in 85 days, start the season July 4th (if possible) and have fun with the expanded playoffs and full DH in both leagues.  No agreement soon means no baseball this summer, and we all know how well that went over in 1981 and 1995!



I'm a sports junkie just like most of you out there.  I've enjoyed what I've been able to watch so far from the European Soccer leagues, and I even enjoyed the photos I saw of the New Zealand rugby match that had fans in attendance (rabid ones at that).

We have to face facts though, COVID-19 isn't going away anytime soon, and people need to respect one another.  I know it's easy to say, but I actually had to have a good friend of mine bring that word "respect" up in a conversation to have the point really hit home.

Enjoy each other's company, but respect their safety.  It's the right thing to do.

Enjoy your weekend, stay safe and have fun with the hobby!!

Robert

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Lay-Z! I realll like that Inspired Play Stargel/McCutchen. Looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to work hard today, so I can enjoy a Lay-Z Sunday.

    P.S. I sure hope those ring things are real. How cool is that? And although I'd love to see baseball this season, I'm tired of getting my hopes up. I'm just going to assume it isn't going to happen and if they do play, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way things are going, one has to wonder what the sports scene is going to look like next year too, or if there'll even be a sports scene next year?

    ReplyDelete