Thursday, June 11, 2020

It's not 1000 Tinos, but 800+ isn't too bad

I was fortunate enough to complete a trade recently that netted me 14 more Joe Sakic cards, bringing me over the 800 card mark.  That trade came to me last week, courtesy of Rob (TCDB ID: frump) and is the largest inbound group of cards for one of my player collections in quite a long time.

Yes, the 800 mark is not quite to the standard of AJ's Tino Martinez collection, which is 9 cards short of a thousand when I last saw on twitter, but I'm happy none the less.


On the left is a sticker from the 94-95 Panini set, quite larger than what stickers normally are.  It has eluded me for quite some time, as I've not seen it much on trade lists, and when I do find it on ebay it's at a time when I was usually working on something else.


Even after nearly 25 years of chasing Joe Sakic cards, on and off, I'm still finding quite a few base cards to enhance the collection, such as the SP Authentic on the left, and the SPXcitement in the center.  The card on the right is a Canadian issue from McDonald's; I had wondered at first when UD had used French on their cards at all, but then looking at the back it made sense.


The Sudden Death insert from 1996-97 Score is a card that I'd never seen before, let alone heard of.  It chronicles on the back that Sakic had a goal and 2 assists the previous season vs. Daren Puppa, but the two seasons before saw Sakic just held to one assist.  I will say one thing, everything has been quite colorful so far...


Another instance where I see a card come in a trade and think "didn't I have this already?"  The Fantastic Finishers card I've seen many times with several other players, but looking in the Sakic binders, sure enough it wasn't there.  More base cards on the right hand side from 2002-03 (Top Shelf) and 2003-04 (Rookie Update).


My Joe Sakic collection is one that will always be treasured, as he was the first player that I ever started a collection for.   Unlike all the other players that I'm collecting, I doubt I'll tire of acquiring new cards for this collection.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to start counting down to 1000....

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. Ha don’t be silly! Love that you’re using TCDB to grow the collection. I wish I did sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. 800 Sakics is quite impressive. I was just looking at some of my 90's Sakic inserts and thinking I need to scan them at some point and put it up on my website. He was one of my favorite non-Sharks during that era.

    ReplyDelete