Saturday, June 20, 2020

Serial Saturday #40: More 99's and a bit of hockey (finally)

I've had more luck adding football and baseball to the serial #'d out of 99 collection.  Even basketball up until today had more than double the amount of cards than hockey.  My latest order from COMC has remedied this, as well as one deal from Canada that added a Maple Leaf player to the set!


I imagine the 2017 UD Maple Leafs Centennial release was very popular in southern Ontario, but I've seen very little of it down here in the swamp.  This Mike Walton exclusives parallel was a very nice add via a trade on the TCDB.


If this wasn't part of the '99 set, this Craig Anderson likely would have been part of my goalie mask frankenset, as he's sporting a design that mirrors the old school Ottawa Senator's jersey he's wearing.  I love when goalies go the extra mile with their masks and create special occasion designs.


Another UD release I haven't seen much of here, this 17-18 UD Overtime red parallel featuring the Sabres Jason Pominville was an easy pickup at around $1 on COMC.


I imagine if I'm patient, I can add quite a few cards from the Panini Certified sets of the early 10's to this collection.  Teddy Purcell was very cheap, under $1 and is a mirror blue parallel from 2011-12.


This card looks much better in hand, the red parallel of Latavius Murray from the 2016 Donruss Optic set.  The white script of Murray's name is just as hard to read in person as it is on the scan, but held at the right angle the red really has a nice shine to it and looks real nice.  70 cents is all this cost me, like they were giving it away.


Last up is a future Hall of Famer, Antonio Gates of the Chargers. This is from the 2013 Topps Triple Threads set, and was a penny cheaper than the Murray card above it.   From memory, a good portion of the football that I have in this collection is from Panini, so seeing something from Topps is a nice change.

Hopefully in the next week I'll have a list of unique serial #'s out of 99 that I need to fill out the 1-99 challenge that I've decided to pursue.

It still amazes me that I have 65 cards for this little challenge of mine already.  Almost makes me think that 100 by the end of 2020 is a distinct possibility.

Stay safe and enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made more progress in hockey. If I can get back to a show at some point I may be able to help you with some /99s too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few, but they're mostly Panini Black Friday football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design on that Mike Walton card at the top is really nice.

    ReplyDelete