Friday, June 12, 2020

Singled out

This is probably the last of the eBay purchases that I'll make for a couple of  weeks, as I'm working on paying off a bit more debt and making some more trades on the TCDB.  But these 3 cards were too good to pass up, especially with the 5% eBay bucks promotion.


Now just one short of the halfway point, the 71-72 O-pee-Chee set is bolstered with the Phil Esposito all star card, which for $7 in EX condition I thought was a steal.  This set still isn't a big priority, but when I'm able to find cards cheaply, I'll have no problem adding them to the collection.

The other two cards I bought last week knocked the '59 Topps want list below the 90 card mark.


I really wondered why I was able to get a Stan Musial card for just under $8, then I noticed upon closer inspection that there's a crease in the lower left corner.  It's still a great looking card to me, and I believe it's the first Stan Musial card that I own.


Last up is the All Star card of Luis Aparicio.  I wasn't going to let him be the last card of this set like he was for my '64 Topps set.  It's a bit off center, and a small ding in the bottom left corner, but still a steal at $16 for a high number star card.

I've had a bit of an itch lately to start picking up more cards to start chipping away at the '59 set, but there's still quite the hill to climb with 89 cards to go.  A couple of Mantles, a Gibson, a Koufax and a few others will certainly take time to find, a la the Mike Schmidt rookie I wrote about the other.

2 years apart for each might not be a good thing though....

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. That Musial is the only vintage card of his that I own as well, and given his prices, will probably be the only one that I ever own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an improvement over last time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solid 3 for 3... but I especially love the 1959 Topps All-Star. Great looking subset.

    ReplyDelete