Wednesday, May 20, 2020

588

588 might be the biggest number I've ever written a post about.  When I saw this card arrive in the mail today, and saw the card number on the back, I knew what this post was going to be.

588 could represent lots of things, such as

  •  The number of days since I last picked up a card toward this set.
  •  The number of similar cards I passed over on ebay, COMC and other sites just waiting for this particular one.
  •  The number of times I've said that I was going to look for one of these cards, only to brush it off and keep waiting.
Well, a few days ago I decided to try and find the '73 Topps high number checklist on ebay, and I'd be damned if I didn't find one that I liked!!!


I've seen dozens of checklists marked and colored in various fashions.  Most of them were still not priced to my liking, many of them were $30+.   I was probably more patient than I've ever been chasing after any card in my entire time blogging (approaching 9 years now).


But I found this one last weekend, the boxes that are marked are for the most part clean, and the card was in even better shape than I imagined.   The price?  Even better.   Only $13.

There's only one card left go to for the set.  Card #615, the 3rd basemen rookie trio.

Ignore the checklist above, it's lying.  I don't have #615 yet....

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!!

Robert

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! Stupid checklist hoarders.

    Mine cost $20. But it's clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May that final card find its way to you in a timely and affordable manner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A centered, unmarked #588 is the toughest card in that set, imo. This one looks real nice even with the markings. Good luck with the Schmidt rookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently gave up hope of ever landing this set. I had some eBay gift cards that I had saved, because I was hoping to buy a complete set... but just realized they were selling for way more than I wanted to spend. $13 for a checklist kinda explains things for me. But I'm happy to see that you're down to only needing one card. Congratulations! Hope you're able to land the final card sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete