Friday, May 29, 2020

Wile E. Coyote never caught this Roadrunner

One of my favorite nicknames ever belonged to Yvan Cournoyer of the Montreal Canadiens.  The "Roadrunner" moniker paid homage to the speed he had on the ice, and as a kid that loved his Saturday morning cartoons, this nickname will always stand out in my mind.


When I saw this card on eBay last week for $3, it was a deal I couldn't pass up.  It still surprises me that you don't see a premium on Canadiens hockey cards the same way you do for older Yankee/Dodger cards in baseball.

Love the 71-72 OPC set, and I've enjoyed building it so far.  I'm 2 cards shy of the halfway point for the set, but with many big name stars and RC's still to go, it feels like it'll be years before this is done.

This eBay purchase had 3 other cards; there's a trio of big names coming up so stay tuned.


2nd year George Brett.  A bit pricey at $13, but it's the best I've seen so far at this price level.  A lot of the cards on COMC are either dinged up pretty bad, or overpriced, so I settled on this copy.  The '76 set is nearing its end, as this card along with...


The Hank Aaron card bring the want list down into the single digits.  Hank was $11, not bad in my opinion and the last card for the set that will cost more than $10.  With the half dozen cards I have coming from COMC, I need just 3 more cards to finish off the '76 Topps set.  Hopefully by the end of June I'll have that post up for everyone to see.


Last up I grabbed this '72 Topps Willie Mays card for $8.  If you look closely, you can clearly see two creases, one on the left hand side by his lower hand, the other on the right hand side about shoulder high.  The corners aren't the greatest also, but the back is clean and in good shape, so overall I'm happy with this for my set.  Still a long way to go to finish '72 Topps, but I'm just happy to knock off another big name card from the list.

Another reason for me to be happy is this month marks the first time in 2 years that I hit the 20 post mark for a calendar month.  Yes, a lot of it is fluff, but just getting posts written can be a challenge for me at times so seeing 20 posts in May with 2 days to go is a good sign.  The goal still is to hit the 2000 post mark by my birthday at the end of October (today's is post 1938) so I'm pretty confident that I can get there.

I've already been promised a cake....

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. Very cool Cournoyer! I agree, those dynasty-era Habs should be priced at a Yankee-like premium. (Maybe they are in Canada?) That's a big reason why I started a side PC of 1970s Canadiens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Quite the vintage hall of famer post. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete