Sunday, May 10, 2020

Slowly chipping away

First off, Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there who may be reading this (of which I'm sure that there are few).  I was fortunate to get on a video call with my 2 younger sisters and my mom this morning for a 1/2 hour, and it was quite entertaining to chat with everyone and to wish my mom a Happy Mothers Day face to face, or at least as close as I will get to that.

On to card related matters.  To go along with yesterday's 55 Bowman Bobby Thomson card, I snagged 6 others as part of my purchase on eBay.  I managed to knock a few cards off of a couple of different sets.  One of the sets has long been neglected, and the other I'm slowly striding towards the fnish line.



First up is a handful of commons from the '68 Topps set.  Got them all for roughly $1-$1.50 apiece, and they're all is pretty good condition, despite how the scans show.  Still a long way to go on this set, as I'm just nearing the 45% complete mark, but this set has no timeline for completion.  It's just fun to pickup a couple of cards here and there when I'm window shopping for other cards, such as this one...


Got this '78 Topps Nolan Ryan for $7, which I thought was quite reasonable considering I've seen copies online for $20-$30.  '78 Topps is on the radar for completion in 2020, as the want list is down to 57 cards.  The big card still to buy is the Trammell/Molitor RC, but there's still some time for that.

I actually used yesterday, which would have been the day of the monthly card show for me, to go online and buy some more cards, which should arrive by next weekend and knock off some more numbers on the want lists.

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. Well, the Nolan Ryan wins this one. But I feel like you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Ryan. Another 70's card with the Oakland Coliseum in the background. I also like the Dave Duncan. That blacked out hat is weird... but he was one heck of a pitching coach for the A's... and Cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone said recently that Nolan Ryan's cards have been dropping in price, I don't know if this is true or not, but if so, it would certainly help out all of the vintage set collectors.

    ReplyDelete