Sunday, May 24, 2020

Pack Stash Week: 2018 Bowman

Well, I figured this week was as good as any to post a few packs from the pack stash on the blog.  I figured I'd take it easy on myself and have some fun at the same time while in the middle of a 5-day mini vacation surrounding the long weekend.

I hunted through the box and decided on this pack....


2018 Bowman baseball.  10 cards, chance of some good rookies including Shohei Ohtani, so let's have a look.


I decided to be a little bit lazy on this break, scanning cards two at a time instead of 1.  Started with what could be a great pitcher vs. batter matchup, Noah Syndergaard and George Springer.  Hit up the baseball reference site and found that they've never faced each other in the regular season.  Thought at least there might be one PA as there is interleague play, but didn't see anything.  Maybe someday...


A lot of empty seats behind both Jonathan Schoop and Freddie Freeman.  I imagine these were taken during spring training.  I do like the look of the cards, the diamond encasing the logo and the oval with the position inside is just the right size for me.


Nomar Mazara is a player I don't know a lot about, so I looked him up, and he averages just under a hit per game during his 4 year career.  He was traded to the White Sox in the offseason for a A-level prospect.  Hunter Renfroe also spent his first 4 years with the same team, in this case the Padres, and was traded in the offseason.  Renfroe is now a Ray, seeing Tommy Pham as the big name going to Southern California.


Unlike the 1st player vs. pitcher scan above, these 2 have a more likely chance of having faced each other.  Advantage: Merrifield.  6 for 11 with a 2B and a solo HR.  Felix is now a Brave, and if healthy I believe will have a bounceback season in the Peach state.  I knew Merrifield was a good ball player, but didn't know he led the AL in hits (206), AB's (681) and triples (10) last year.  I also didn't realize he was so versatile, playing 2B, all 3 OF positions and 1B for the Royals.


Marcus Stroman is the 9th and final....what, wait a minute!!??  Only 9 cards in the pack!  Wasn't tampered with at all, bought it a couple years ago right off the shelf in Target.   Oops, not a good look there Topps, as you can plainly see on the first scan that the pack should have had 10 cards.

No matter, was more about the fun of ripping the pack rather than worrying about what or who was going to be inside.  All the cards were going to be trade bait anyhow.  Not like it's 2020 Bowman which people are selling for tons of money already.

Who said the hobby is struggling anyhow?

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!!

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment