Monday, May 11, 2020

$5 for a Cavan Biggio RC

Now before you start wondering why I paid a straight $5 for Cavan Biggio, even though it's a Topps Chrome card, and a Blue Jays player, know that this was one of 100 cards in a Fairfield repack that I decided to pickup about a week ago on a trip to Walgreens.  Everybody has talked about packs of cards from Walgreens, and pulling some kind of yellow parallel, but the Walgreens near me had no such packs, so I decided to grab one of these based on the card visible in the window.


Fair enough, if he turns out to be anything like the player his dad was, this $5 will be well spent.  The front of the pack also says that 1 in 4 repacks contains a "hit".  To pull an autograph card out of one of these was a bonus, even though I had never heard of the player on the card.


Now what I was most curious about was the rest of the cards inside.  Figuring on a healthy dose of what we all kindly refer to as "Junk Wax", but when going through the cards I found what was inside most interesting.  What I noticed the most was the number of different sets that was represented.





Each of the 34 cards above represent a single card from a particular set.  Seeing recent Stadium Club, Archives, Topps Fire and Opening Day was kind of surprising to me.  Also Heritage and Bowman Platinum as well.

Now, the sets that have multiple cards in them seem more along the lines of what I expected.


Early to mid 80's here with 82 Donruss, 83 Fleer and 84 Topps, 2 apiece.  The Doug Gwosdz is actually a Tiffany parallel.  Didn't expect to see any of these represented.


86 and 87 Donruss along with 89 Topps.  2 apiece.  Now we're getting along to more the kind of stuff that I expected inside.


90 Upper Deck, 92 Topps and 93 Topps Stadium Club.  Was a little surprised to see a pair of Stadium Club inside, but I'm sure with the copious amounts out there that it's not going to make any kind of dent in the overall inventory.


Finishing off the sets that were represented with 2 cards each are 2007 Topps and 2009 Upper Deck.  Decent adds to the box.   Glavine probably the biggest star in the box so far.

Now the sets that were represented 3 times.



87 Topps, 90 Leaf and 90 Topps in the first scan.  Surprised a bit on the 90 Leaf, but I'm sure that it's still in the overproduced classification so in the end it kind of makes a bit of sense

Scan 2 has 91 Fleer and 91 Topps.  I'm sure that there is a few thousand repacks out there that have more than 3 each of these.  Still won't put a dent into the overall supply.


Four each of 89 Donruss and 92 Donruss.  Very, very interesting that the 92 Donruss has 2 cards each of Rick Honeycutt and Dave Henderson.  I didn't even notice this until I was putting the cards on the scanner to scan.
This is probably what I'd expect to see out of most of these repacks.


5 from 91 Donruss.  No real huge names in the group, 3 blues and 2 greens.  The number of Donruss cards in the box slowly starting to take over the lead as far as # of cards total.


8 cards from 88 Donruss.  That's the 3rd straight scan where Donruss is the sole manufacturer.  21 cards from the box just from Donruss.  The first scan up top of all the single card sets had the only 90 Donruss card, which was the set that I would have thought would be represented the most.  But this next scan of 8 is the set that surprised me to see the most of...


2019 Topps represented 8 times in the box!!  Some good names in there, such as Buster Posey of the Giants and Jose Berrios of the Twins.  I was very surprised to see this many modern cards in the repack, pleasantly surprised.

The Biggio will go into my rookie card binder, and the others will all be up for trade, if anyone is looking for any of them.  I highly doubt it, of course.

For $5 though, this was fun, and a bit educational as well.

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. I love these $5 repacks! Fairfield does a good job of putting interesting cards on the front, I think the last one I bought had a one of those green GQ parallels of Andrew Benintendi on the front, which sucked me right in. Surprised there were so many 2019s in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voting for the DK Vince Coleman. An upset? Perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Oil Can card looks like such an old-timey action shot.
    Was that Rafael Palmeiro pitching?
    Also, I had completely forgotten Sutcliffe played for the O's and Canseco for the Red Sox.
    Fun stuff all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great variety in this repack. I really like the look of Biggio's rookie card. 2019 Topps was a solid design... and Topps used a really nice photograph.

    ReplyDelete