Sunday, May 3, 2020

A bit of Sakic RAK

The card community on Twitter is a very strong one, and once in a while it reminds me that it's a generous one as well.

I received a message from Mike a couple weeks back (@ugxtall88 is his twitter handle) saying that he had some Joe Sakic cards I may need for the PC.   Didn't want to be too greedy, but said that his 2nd scan of 5 cards were ones that I needed, and I asked him what was he looking for in return.

All he asked for was my address so he could send them to me.   Nice!!


1996-97 Donruss Canadian Ice O Canada die cut insert, #'d out of 2000!  I've wanted this card for a long time, but thought it overpriced on a lot of sites, even though it's serial #'d.   I decided to look today on COMC, and it's a lot cheaper than I remember it being, so maybe prices are starting to come down a bit on these.



1995-96 Donruss Elite Die Cut insert, another cart I've been hunting for a while but hadn't found any copies cheap enough to warrant grabbing.   I already have the base card that matches this, so the only card I need from this set is the Uncut Die Cut (oxymoron??) that's going for around $20.




1995-96 Select Certified Gold Team card.  Another card I've been wanting for a long time but too unwilling to pull the trigger on.  Now it's here to stay.


1997-98 Select Certified Cornerstone.  This card I don't ever recall seeing while hunting for Sakic cards, so this was a very nice add to the collection.   I didn't even have it on my TCDB want list so I'm sure I've probably passed by it many times but never really took notice.


2002-03 Pacific Atomic is a set I've always liked and I now just need the red and blue parallels for the rainbow for this set.  This card is a lot more sturdy than I remember that set being, so I'm wondering if it's a parallel that I'm not aware of.

Closing in on the 800 card plateau, just 6 more to hit the mark.  I probably have jersey cards lying around somewhere that I haven't bothered to put on the TCDB site, maybe that's a project I should get around to doing sometime this week.

Thank you for the Sakic's Mike!!  They are really appreciated!

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff! I opened a lot of Canadian Ice and loved those inserts. And that Donruss Elite Diecut was such a popular set back in the day. Never knew which one was rarer though...the diecut or uncut diecut. And that Gold Team is sweet. Love seeing all of these 90's inserts I loved chasing at the peak of my hockey card collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! Those Atomic sets were really cool to my teenage self back in the day. They are for sure sturdy. And they stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of my cards stored in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert. It is great to that you receive the cards safe and sound. I believe I bought the 1990s cards at the Toronto Sports Card Expo back in 1998 or 2000. Happy to help out a collector anytime. Mike

    ReplyDelete