Saturday, May 16, 2020

Battery

When going through the last 5 cards of my recent eBay order from The Battersbox, the first thing that came to mind was the two cards below featuring one heckuva battery.


For most of the sets I'm working on now, I've progressed to the point where I'm picking up cards in the $1-$5 range, of which these two certainly fall into.  When scanning these I thought for a moment and wondered if Seaver ever pitched to Carter, hence the battery title of this post.

First thought, Carter played for the Mets in the 80's, I couldn't remember if Seaver did the same.  Sure enough, Seaver was in Shea in '83, but of the 5 catchers that played for the Mets that season, Carter wasn't one of them.  Carter didn't start his Mets career until '85.  The only other way they could have been a battery is in the All Star Game, and sure enough Seaver pitched in the 2nd inning of the '81 ASG, giving up a HR to Ken Singleton.  Carter was the starting catcher for the NL in the game, which the NL won 5-4.

These two cards dropped the want list for '78 down to 50 cards, which is even lower now.  You'll see why on tomorrow's post.


These three '72 Topps cards round out the envelope, no catchers here to support the pitching of Jim Lonborg.  I believe these 3 cards cost me just under $5 total, Nowhere near as close to finishing '72 as I am '78, but I've made nice progress so far this year, nearing the 54% completion mark.  Completion this year is out, possibly by the end of 2021 if all goes well.  A lot of high numbers that are pricey is something that will likely hold me back, similar to the '64 set I completed a few years back.

I've kind of taken to going after singles on eBay for the time being, as I can acquire them relatively quickly, compared to COMC which has been my other go to for singles.  The bigger change, especially mentally, is grasping that I pretty much have very few cards on my baseball want lists right now that I can buy cheaply.  This is OK, as I know that I'm moving towards putting together some sets that I'll appreciate for a long time to come.

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert


2 comments:

  1. Not a lot of quantity here. But 3 Hall of Famers is plenty of quality.

    Carter has the relocated / renamed team allure, but the chaw action is a bit off-putting.

    Seaver won the Cy 3 times, but it's a boring card.

    Morgan also has a boring photo, but the funky lettering really goes well with the team name. Alas, he played for the Reds in 1972.

    So my vote goes to Seaver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seaver/Carter would have been a pretty cool duo. That being said... Seaver did have Bench all those years in Cincinnati and Carter had Gooden in his prime. I love that 72 set build. I'm looking forward to buying a complete set of next year's Heritage.

    ReplyDelete