Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Better than 1991 Fleer

You just never know what's going to strike your fancy when trying to come up with a blog post.  I'm rummaging through some cards and I come across this beauty...


Good ol' knuckleballer Phil Niekro shows up in the pile and instantly I think about a couple of things.

First, he should be in a rocking chair somewhere instead of on the mound.  He was probably 48-49 years old when this photo was taken in the late 80's (which is just a couple years younger than I am right now, and I enjoy a good rocking chair).  He only made one start for the Braves in the '87 season in case you were wondering, and that was in the last week of September.  He had made 3 starts for the Jays in August, and 22 for Cleveland earlier in the season, his swan song of a 24 year career.

Second, I'm thinking on a lark about picking up some starter lots and trying to complete some sets from the end of the 80's.  I'm sure there's a few billion cards out there that people are trying to unload, I'm sure that 3000 or so of them could end up on my doorstep just as easily.  I mean how hard could it be, right?

The yellow on this '88 Score looks better than 1991 Fleer, right?  Of course it does.  Thinking.....

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

9 comments:

  1. Great post! The yellow on score is easier on the eyes than Fleer's offering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the whole set wasn't yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, what a stud! I definitely won't be pitching in the big leagues when I turn 48!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always like 1988 Score Baseball. Happy birthday Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 88 was a colorful year for Score but I'm one of those oddballs. I also like 91 Fleer.
    ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want more grey-haired pitchers! Happy milestone! Any cake left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had some last night, it was delicious. #1900 wasn't written on it though :(

      Delete
  7. 88 score is a nice set. I am thankful for it as it included the only cards of niekro and steve garvey that year. Final tributes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about to turn 48... and I hope I don't look this old. Then again... even when I was in my 20's I wasn't able to strike out Little Leaguers... while this dude was striking out future hall of famers.

    ReplyDelete