Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Miscellaneous colors

Sitting and thinking for a minute or 2 while starting this post, I remember back to when parallels were just one color, gold.  Then as we got into the 10's the colors really started to explode.  Blue and red parallels based on what big box store you bought the cards from.  Purple from Toys R Us.  Black parallels limited to double digit serial numbering.  Some releases had fancy parallels such as amber, emerald and ruby.

Go back to 1991 Fleer and you even have a set completely in yellow!!  What made me think of this is a few cards that I picked up on twitter last week, one on purpose and the others just because of the colors.


This is the red and yellow parallel from 2018 Optic.  When looking at it in hand, I thought that it was more orange than anything, which would make sense as it features McCutchen in a Giants uniform.  But when scanned, the red really pops.


The next 4 cards are all from 2019 Prizm, and there was really no rhyme or reason to buying them.  This Carolina Blue parallel featuring Odubel Herrera is actually great as it matches the old school Phillies uniforms, which I wouldn't be upset if they came back full time.   Makes me wonder who thought of creating a Carolina blue parallel at Panini....

How about these against the old school teal of the Seattle Mariners (it was teal, right?).


This is just plain old blue, which certainly would look good against the Blue Jays dark blue tops but certainly not with the black(?) of the Cleveland Indians.  Maybe it's just the scan and the navy blue just didn't show up well.  Any other teams you can think of that would fit this blue?


OK, so now seeing the Shane Bieber card I'm more convinced that the tops are black.  But the red T-shirt does go with the red parallel here.  Maybe the old Indians red tops from the '70s would fit with this style?


One color combo that I think that Panini does well is the Red, White and Blue, such as you see on George Springer here.  Every time I see the basketball version of the RWB, I think of a barber pole.

I'd love to see somebody do a frankenset featuring a bunch of the different parallels.  Be great to see the pink, gold, green, navy blue kaleidoscope, neon orange donut circles, cosmic haze, power plaid and purple parallels along with the handful above.

No, it won't be me....

Enjoy the hobby and be safe!

Robert

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the color parallels for Optic and Prizm. They are so bold and colorful. Really like that you lead it off with Cutch. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. That is funny :)

      I actually bought a few cards for my '78 set yesterday on COMC, so I'm staying true (for the most part) to my sets that I'm trying to finish in 2020.

      Delete
  3. Another blogger just showed off one of those orange and yellow parallels on their blog earlier in the week... and it reminded me of a popsicle from the ice cream man.

    As for a refractor frankenset... I've actually thought about it. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I just another blogger, Fuji?! I have a name. It was....ME!

      But you are right, Robert, it does look more orange in person. They are attractive cards though.

      Delete
    2. Sorry AJ... my mind went blank. I read way too many different blogs.

      Delete
  4. Those '91 Fleer parallels were the worst! :)

    ReplyDelete