Friday, April 24, 2020

Night Lite

So my De Lux post last week garnered a response from a long time trade partner, and even longer time blogger, the Night Owl.  Needed the Gavin Lux from Series 1 to finish my set, and his was the first response saying he had an extra one somewhere and would send it my way.

I'm quite positive that my envelope was part of his P.O.'d post on Tuesday (which I totally related to BTW).  Just a couple days later, my PWE had arrived, with a half dozen cards from a trio of sets.


Why wait until the end, let's start off with the main reason he sent me the envelope, the final card for my 2020 Series 1 flagship set, Gavin Lux.   Along with it he sent another card for the '85 insert set from this year, Chris Paddack.   I have no idea who Paddack is (sorry Padres fans), maybe someone will educate me a little ( or a lot ) in the comments.  Still haven't quite hit the 30 card mark on this, but with a trade or 2 on the way, that should change soon.


Next up is a pair of '69 Topps cards, most welcome here at my house!  Most of you will know Bob Rodgers by his more famous nickname Buck.  1969 would be Buck's last season as a player in the majors, all 9 seasons spent with the Angels.  I remembered him managing the Expos and the Angels, but did not remember that he was the skipper of the Brewers in the early 80's before being replaced in 1982 by Harvey Kuenn, which would spawn the "Harvey's Wallbangers" season for the Brew Crew.


Finishing off the envelope is a pair of cards from the 1970 Topps set, including Seattle Pilot John O'Donoghue.  John was actually part of a pretty decent bullpen in Seattle, appearing in 55 games in 1969 with an ERA just below 3, and 6 saves.  There were some names in the pen you may or may not remember, Jim Bouton and Diego Segui were also part of the pen, and one of the starters would become a rubber armed reliever just a few seasons later, Mike Marshall.  John's son would also pitch in the majors, albeit just 11 games for the Orioles in 1993.

Greg, thank you as always, the cards are really appreciated!!

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. It's always nice to complete a set. But my vote goes to the O'Donoghue Pilots card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, your PWE was mailed off after I had calmed down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paddack is a pretty good young pitcher for the Padres. Had high hopes for him this year.

    ReplyDelete