Sunday, April 19, 2020

Breaking into The Stash

With the order down here in Broward and Miami-Dade counties requiring anyone entering an establishment that provides essential services to wear a face mask, it appears that more people are having no trouble speaking their mind with their face mostly covered.  Almost like the keyboard warriors on Twitter or Instagram who have no problem "speaking their mind".  So, until the insanity down here has died down somewhat, I've resolved to avoid the big box stores.  No more Target or Wal Mart until the mask order has been rescinded.

This is going to be tough for me, because that's where I get my pack fix.  This was the first weekend in quite a while that I didn't hit either of those stores to get anything to rip, and it's been a bit tough to be honest.  This morning I decided to do something about it, and broke into my stash of packs.  I have a plastic tub filled with about 75 packs of cards of various sizes, sports and years.  Something I've been adding to lately, as a just in case.   I figured that this is about as good a time as any to grab a pack to open.

2008-09 Upper Deck hockey jumbo pack, series 1.  32 cards, with a chance for Young Guns such as Stamkos, Giroux, Wheeler and T.J. Oshie.  I've not had any luck with these so far, but hopefully with the last 3 or 4 that I have I'll get lucky.


A few names on the first page that are still going over a decade later, such as Marc-Andre Fleury and Jonathan Cheechoo.  I'd totally forgotten that Mike Smith started way back when in Tampa Bay and was part of the trade that brought Brad Richards to Dallas (you'll see him here in a minute).  Another player on this page is Scott Gomez, who I remember almost strictly as a New Jersey Devil.  Then I look at his career stats and see stints in Ottawa, St. Louis, Florida, and San Jose, along with 3 years in Montreal.  It's time for me to start taking some memory pills it seems!


A lot of solid players on this page as well, such as Marian Gaborik, Patrik Elias and Bill Guerin.  Carey Price is the headliner, in an 2nd year card showing him shooting the puck around the boards.  I still remember the battle that he had with Jaroslav Halak when the both of them were in Montreal, which would stay and which would move on.  Halak's been a part of 5 organizations since he was traded in 2010, and Price 12 years later has 6 more years on what likely will be his final contract.  I'm sure when it ends he'll hold a majority of the Canadiens goaltending records.

Funny, when I look at this page the name Matt Niskanen jumps right at me.  I remember when he was traded by Dallas to Pittsburgh back in 2011.  That may be the worst deal Dallas ever made, as Niskanen and James Neal went to the Pens for Alex Goligoski.  Yes, Goligoski had some good years in Dallas, but Neal and Niskanen was probably a bit too much for Dallas to trade, in my opinion.


All of these cards went to my trade list on the TCDB website, as you never know what sets people are still trying to put together.   There were also a couple of inserts in the pack as well...


The Masked Men set has been popular, I've traded off quite a few of these over the past few months.  The All Star jersey you see on Vinny Lecavalier on the right is one that I have hanging in my closet, featuring that years Leafs representative, Tomas Kaberle.

I'd held off on breaking any of the packs I've had in the Stash for a long time, and I've been slowly adding to it over the past several months.  But while the mask edict is in place down here in S. Florida, I'll work on staying out of Target and Wal-Mart to keep some level of sanity in place, and just have fun breaking some old packs here and there.

Rest assured I'll post any stash pack broken here on the blog for all to see.

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe!

Robert

10 comments:

  1. Cool! Always jealous of those who have a pack stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "shooting the puck around the boards"

    Amateur hour. Hextall would've scored.

    I looked up the Masked Men set and I can see the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel any better I also just think of NJ when it comes to Gomez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to a Target or Walmart in 2 weeks, and now with the mask edict, it will be even longer before I go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking for myself, putting on a mask while shopping for essentials to help stop the spread of coronavirus is not to much to ask. Victims of the coronavirus and their families probably wish the mask order went into effect a couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I worded it incorrectly, I don't have any issues with the mask edict. I have no problem wearing one when shopping at our local grocery stores. This was more of a "it's time to take it up a notch and minimize the amount of places I go" type of statement.

      Broward and Miami-Dade counties likely won't be lifting the mask edict before the 1st of May, if not longer. So keeping the trips to a minimum is probably the best bet...

      Delete
  6. I was watching a video on YT yesterday about the best players in Sharks history... and it was cool to hear Cheechoo's name. That guy sure had one heck of a season for them when he scored 50+ goals while lining up with Thornton. Good times.

    As for Target... it's been a long time since I've been there. Most of the stuff I would normally buy from there I can either find at Safeway or on Amazon. Probably won't be going back there until things settle down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each time I hear Cheechoo's name I think that he's in his early 20's and still young in the league. Hard to believe a dozen seasons have come and gone and he's quietly been one of the Sharks best players (if not the best) over that time.

      Delete
  7. I love that set in general. I have to travel 35 miles to get to Target and Walmart so I don't do it too often anyway but nowadays I really don't want to. Most things I can get in the small town I live in. My pack stash is legendary but I did get a blaster of Series 2 UD Hockey for Christmas and a 2019 Topps Heritage hanger (in the fall). I may open those soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of, or seen any examples of, this mask courage thing. Seems kind of silly to me, because someone wearing a mask can still get punched in the face (or worse), so I don't know why they'd think that the mask is going to protect them from the violence that may occur as a result of them being an a$$hole.

    ReplyDelete