Thursday, October 7, 2021

Sometimes I wonder where did the Phungo?

Life has been really busy, work, home, friends have all taken up a good portion of my life lately.  I've wanted to write posts for the past 10 days, but I've found many other things to take up my free time.  Tonight I said to the wife for the first time in a long time, "I'm going to go write a post".   No objections from her as she knows I really haven't done that much recently.

Fellow blogger, but to me more well known as twitter regular @phungo (blog here) was very generous to me recently and sent me a half dozen cards which could be described as well loved in a couple of different ways.

First up, I get to add to the Blue Jays hits and autos list, something I haven't done in quite a while...



2007 SP Rookie Edition Adam Lind autograph.  Sadly, this was the best I could do with the scan as the foil didn't show up at all until I brought the light setting to max level.  None the less, it's a great add for the Jays collection and I'm going to guess that brings the Adam Lind auto total to about half a dozen.


These 2 all star cards from the '59 Topps set took me right back to a handful of '64 Topps high numbers that I bought a few years ago.  Those '64s had rounded corners, while these as you can plainly see have the corners cut off like someone put them into a scrapbook.  Maybe one day I'll replace them, but for now they work quite well.


This Maz high number card is also well loved with a crease in the lower left, as well as what appears to be a youngster teething on the upper right hand corner of the card.  Honestly, I think this is good enough for me to keep and not worry about replacing down the road.


Of the handful of '59s, this easily is the most gorgeous of the group.  Another of the high numbers that I need for the set, the Infield Power card featuring the Red Sox infield is very generous and much appreciated.  



Through the laundry?  Maybe.   Taped to a book or wall?  Possibly as there is a bit of paper loss on the back.

Two of the greatest sluggers in Braves history?   Damn straight!  The scan certainly does do this card justice; the card is well loved and has certainly seen better days.

I probably will try to replace the card down the line, unless my frugality gets in the way, but the gesture of sending one of the big dollar cards I have left on my want list is certainly not lost.  Even in the condition it is in, the card certainly brought one of those "holy shit" comments from my lips.

Paul, thank you very much for the cards, they are really appreciated!  Still need to find some rookie cup cards for you...

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Nice '59s! Love the Aaron/Mathews. It's got character :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were kids who cut the corners off their cards the same ones who had the corners cut off their sandwiches? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cards! That Fence Busters has survived a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For my money, the '59 combos are the best of the vintage multiplayer cards.

    ReplyDelete