Thursday, September 17, 2020

Stacked

 I do consider myself to be very lucky when it comes to my collection.  I've had quite a bit of help over the past 9+ years, bloggers with opinions on products, places to buy cards that I hadn't heard of when I first started writing about my collecting exploits.

What's interesting now with COVID-19 in our midst is what's happening to the card economy.  With a lot of non-essential business being shuttered due to social distancing, a lot of supplies and access to them have been in short supply.

What I've wound up with an excess of is top loaders, one of the items in short supply (so it seems).  I read a post on the TCDB website from someone who needed extra toploaders and responded saying I had a bunch that were just taking up space.   Used ones of course.

After a bit of back and forth, I decided to send them off with nothing promised in return, for 2 reasons.

  1. It was about 250 top loaders, and the space that they were taking would be better used storing cards or other items
  2. I was long overdue to perform a Random Act of Kindness.
Off to the post office I went and shipped them off.  Received a message a couple of days later thanking me for the package, and asking what I wanted in return.  Didn't really need anything, but told him if he wanted to send me something, I'd trust his judgement about fair value.   To be honest, I really wasn't concerned about getting anything back.


I was stacked.   Look at that stack!!!  I had recently just put up a want list for 2012 Allen & Ginter on TDCB, and Bobby (TCDB ID: Bobby L) took a shot at reducing it.  Just about 100 cards came my way, and the set is now just over half done with what I already in hand.  

This made my day when I wasn't expecting a stack like this to come my way.  The timing was also good as A&G 2020 made its way to shelves this past week.  I've seen a lot of early pulls on Twitter and I think it looks pretty good.  Of course, there's the normal bitching from people here and there, but over the years I've been converted and I enjoy the product each year.

Bobby, thank you for the great stack of cards, they really are appreciated!

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert


4 comments:

  1. nice exchange! PIFs are good karma. I like the base design for Ginter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The supply shortage has really made me conscientious of what deserves to be sleeved and top loaded. I'm actually stocked with top loaders... but I've been desperately running low on penny sleeves. Worst part is my OCD really keeps me from using recycled sleeves for my personal collection, so I recently traded some of my excess top loaders (new) for some (new) penny sleeves. Trading supplies. Who would have ever thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny sleeves are what I am keeping an eye on as they seem to be sold out in the usual suspects I use, and I really don't feel like paying what feel like inflated prices on Amazon...yet...may have to come to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing out Amazon. It's not normal prices. But $1.49 per pack (you have to buy 10) isn't too bad. I ended up grabbing it.

      https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Sleeve-Baseball-Sports-Packaging/dp/B07FXVDC6J

      Delete