Sunday, September 6, 2020

2K is OK.

I'm the third blogger in 2020 to admit that they've hit the 2000 post mark, following in the footsteps of Dime Boxes: The Low-End Baseball Collectors Journey on 6/9 (post here) and The Shlabotnik Report on 6/1 (post here).

Before you say anything, I don't consider myself in league with either of those gentlemen.  Both of them have taken baseball cards and writing to another level.  Their love of the game is evident in how they write.  As is their love of collecting. 

All I can say is that during 2020, I've taken steps to improve my writing by reading my posts before I publish to try to make sure that posts aren't using specific words too often. 

One thing I do share with DBN and TSR is the love of vintage.  Enjoyment of building pre-1980 sets is something that has evolved while I've been blogging and it isn't getting old. 

My love of completing sets was rekindled with just one card.  1964 Topps #540 Luis Aparicio


I will probably take with me for a long time the feeling I got when this card was put in the '64 Topps binder, finishing my first vintage set.   In the decade of the '00s, I had no concept, or desire to finish a vintage set, thinking that finishing older sets was unreachable.  When I started putting this set together there were still fears.  I was also putting together the Serial Numbered Insanity frankenset and cards that were old were new for me.

But I digress.  It's all about the blogging, 2000 posts.  I've had a lot of fun with the blog.  I'm going to continue having fun writing.  It's an escape from the real world. 


But it's also memories.  I can still remember where I picked up this card.  Strongsville, OH card show.  The dealer had it pinned to a giant cork board....don't panic it was sleeved and no cards here hurt with any of his pins.   I can remember asking the dealer what he wanted for it.  When he said $25, I didn't flinch.  It didn't align with anything I was putting together at the time, but I wanted it because it featured one of the greatest Maple Leaf players of all time. 

Sometimes it's just as simple as that. 

My plan going forward?  Keep doing what I'm doing.  Having fun.  Trying to promote the good in the hobby.  Meet more good people, like the dozens I've met in the 9+ years that the blog has existed.

Another good thing about 2000 posts?  I get cake!!

Thank you to all, and keep writing no matter what.

Enjoy the hobby, and see you at 3000!!

Robert

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on 2K - continue to enjoy the hobby and the writing, as I know I enjoy the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE completing vintage sets. It never gets old (get it?)

    Congrats on 2,000 posts. You're almost halfway to my total. Apparently I need to spend more time outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. That's a lot of posts. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I think I am somewhere around 7 posts total. Maybe a couple more, but I am nowhere near 2000!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 2K posts! I look forward to reading the next 2k!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congratulations! That's quite a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on 2000! I'm just hoping I'll hit 100 by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Tim Horton story reminded me of a card shop I used to visit in the earl-mid 1990s, I wouldn't call it my LCS because it was 20 minutes out of town and at least four shops were closer. But they had some cards in sleeves and/or card saves pinned to a cork board. I'd forgotten all about that!

    2000 posts is quite an accomplishment. Congrats on the milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 2K posts! Keep on having fun most importantly! Woo cake!

    ReplyDelete