Saturday, September 5, 2020

Dazed and Confused

Apparently, I've lost all concept of time.  From what my friends told me when I moved to Florida 5 years ago (yes, it's already been that long) I'd lose all concept of time and seasons.  The year around nice weather would eventually warp my senses.

Well today, it happened.  Get this.

I went to the Barnes & Noble for the first time since the Pandemic started back in March.  I'd been wanting to go for a week or 2 now, and with my wife occupied with her good friend in town, I took the opportunity this morning. 

My goal was to grab a Beckett magazine or two to get myself up to date. I was certainly overdue, as the last copy I purchased was from Nov. '19.  I hit the periodicals on the far left wall, and started looking.  The first copy of the baseball version had a Yankee on it (I think it was Aaron Judge) and I took a close look and it said April '20. 

My first thought was "boy that's recent, nice!"  I look one shelf behind and there's a newer looking copy....



Heard his name a few times on the blogs and twitter, so I look closer at the date on the bottom.


August 2020.  My first thought is "when did Beckett start publishing months ahead?"  Being brain dead as I was, I grabbed this and the September FB Beckett (they didn't have hockey which was my first want) featuring Dak Prescott and I went off to the novels section.  It wasn't for about an hour that I realized....

It's September now.  OH MY GOD.

I've lost my mind.  Maybe it's because the Stanley Cup playoffs are going on.  Maybe it's because I've become stir crazy from being in the house so much (today was the first time I left my property in a week).  I seem to have lost some concept of time, at least today.  I've been sitting and working all week at home looking forward to the labor day weekend.

Dazed and confused.  You betcha!  I'm not old enough to start having senior moments yet.

Or maybe I am....

Remember, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

6 comments:

  1. Haha, definitely have lost time a few times being in Groundhog Day. I haven't gotten a Beckett of any kind since probably 2002, but I might have to find this one. Are they really $10 each?! That's absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for buying the magazine that publishes me! (Well, not that one, but same co.). And, yes, they have to charge 10 bucks for a magazine that people will buy. It pays people's salaries and it makes the content worth reading. And in the covid era, things are very tenuous for the publishing world. Buy a magazine/newspaper/etc. Be informed. Support journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. August was a very long year indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just Florida. I mean, the Kentucky Derby was on today, followed by an NHL playoff game. What kind of September is THAT?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda lost sense of time this past summer, because I wasn't working. But now that I'm back I'm very aware of "time" as I count down the days to Thanksgiving break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't been to Barnes & Noble (or Target) since the before time, but I've been going to the office straight through the pandemic so I haven't lost track of days/months. That said it definitely feels different, especially related to sports. The NBA/NHL playoffs are on, there's no football, and *most* MLB teams have only played about 35-40 games. So.. it's May, right?

    ReplyDelete