Sunday, September 13, 2020

Hey '74 Topps, I haven't forgotten about you

I've just been dragging my feet. 

I nabbed 4 cards on the Sportlots order for the '74 set, bringing that want list below 30 cards.  While writing this post I'm thinking it is time to get the set done, and will likely spend the weekend chasing the remainder on various websites.


Surprising as the want list has shrunk that I'm still finding common cards that I need.  Even more surprising is that I found these all for less than a quarter apiece on Sportlots. 


I paid 90 cents for the Ron Santo card you see here, not bad, but a little bit rough edged on the right hand side, and it almost looks as if he's got a piece of gum or something on the one side of his mouth.  There's also a crease on the right hand side as well, but for under a buck I think I'm happy enough with this copy of Santo.  It does show the risk you take with some sellers and vintage on Sportlots. 

Now, it's off to find Rose, Garvey, McCovey, Munson, Bench, Robinson and a couple of Aaron cards in order to get this one in the books.  $50-60 I'm thinking (read hoping) to finish this up...

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. I guess Sportlots is another site that doesn't show you the exact scan of the exact card you're receiving. That's one advantage COMC still has (and there aren't many left.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've discovered it's hit or miss with conditions on Sportlots. But for the most part I've been happy with my purchases. Very cool to hear that you're down to the final handful of cards for your set build. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete