Friday, September 11, 2020

How retro

The big Sportlots box order came in today (at least 16 out of 17 of the orders did), and of course I had a lot of fun going through the decent sized box of envelopes and digging through buried treasure.

Once I got the roughly 180 cards organized and removed them from 14 different want lists on the TCDB (more on that in another upcoming post), I figured I should at least start writing a bit about the haul.

One of the sets that I pulled a few cards from is the 18-19 OPC retro parallel set.  Well off the beaten path of sets that I'm trying to complete, this build is only in its infancy at 38 cards out of the 600. 


For some reason during all my ordering decided to grab a total of 8 cards of varying star quality.  Nobody in particular was in mind when I started grabbing these, I'm sure it was just a matter of picking up some more cards from sellers that I already had in the cart.


When looking at the cards, I noticed the background color patterns.  The 4 in the first scan with the blue background/green name bars.  The 2nd scan featuring green background with orange name bar and the orange background with a purple name bar.  I tried to decipher if there was any rhyme or reason to the color scheme, maybe they were separated by division?  that was quickly shot down as hockey fans will know that the Rangers and the Kings/Coyotes aren't in the same conference, let alone division.  Some more thought will have to be done on this.

This set is probably going to take years to build, and I can see my future with this set clearly now.  I'll be wandering around the International Center in Toronto at the Hockey Expo in 2030 and seeing a dealer with a box full of these trying to get rid of them for cheap. 

That's the norm for me....

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could help decipher the background color patterns, but I don't see the correlation. That being said... it's a great looking set. Do the goalies have a goalie icon in the bottom righthand corner, instead of the skater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to check, but yes they do have a goalie silhouette in the lower corner.

      Delete