Sunday, September 27, 2020

A little bit of help

 Chris from the Collector blog spotted a post of mine a couple of weeks ago asking for a start on the '86 Topps football set.  A day or 2 later, a TCDB trade popped up that netted me some help on a pair of sets.  Let's start with the '86 FB



What I love about this set is not only the design, is that I remember a lot of the names that I've been seeing on cards so far.  The big name on the first scan is of course Danny White of the Cowboys, the QB that took over America's Team when the legend Roger Staubach retired.  You may or may not remember that White also did the punting for the Cowboys for a decade, an interesting side job on a football field.


What I like about the set so far is the team cards.  Love seeing the action photos and then turning over the card and seeing the team leader stats, along with the full results from the '85 schedule.  Different, but still it works for me.  By the way, Gary Anderson had way too great a hair style for a football player in the 80's.  Looks as if he should have been on an episode of Miami Vice.


These 21 cards just about doubled my total; I now have 43 cards out of the 396 card set.  Still a long way to go, and I'd still like to see if I can get another nice chunk of cards to get the build going.  

Not only did Chris hit this set, he hit another one that I've been building for a while.  The 2009-10 O-Pee-Chee hockey set is becoming one of my favorites because a good portion of what I have so far has come via the trade route.



11 more cards to add bringing the total to 330 out of the original 600 card set.  I bought very little of this set when it first came out, so hitting this number is very satisfying because of the help I've received from the card community.  


Last up is a quartet of "random" cards, 1 each from 3 of my player collections, and Terry Ruskowski from the 81-82 OPC set.  Ruskowski is in great shape considering 81-82 is known for rough edges and poor cuts.  The Thome and Sundin cards fit into the "didn't I have that already" category, but thankfully I did not.  

A big thank you to Chris for putting a very nice dent into a couple of set want lists, especially the '86 Topps football which I'm excited about putting together.

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Nice deal! Those '86 Topps footballs look great. Chris is always nice to deal with too, and I'm not surprised he noticed you needed those and was able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After posting about wanting to work on this set, I knew it was only a matter of time before you two got together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Nash and Jacob Green were beasts on those mid 80's Seahawks teams... along with guys like Kenny Easley, Dave Brown, and Eugene Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to help with your set builds, and thanks for the trade! I'm really embracing my true identity as a set collector of late, and it's a great feeling to help fellow collectors build sets - especially ones that I enjoyed building myself.

    I'll be sure to show off my end of the trade later this week.

    ReplyDelete