Sunday, March 1, 2020

A piece here, a piece there, and a six pack

First off, wanted to bring up my recent experience with COMC.  I had mentioned previously that I sent a question regarding the shipment (or lack of) of my cards.  I did mention that COMC managed to get my cards out the same day that I sent my follow up request, so no worries there.  Now, interesting to me was how it arrived to my house.

The order was just over 50 cards.  I've ordered this amount a couple of times in the past, and received a bubble mailer.  It's what you would expect, as the order wasn't really that large.  But much to my surprise, when I opened the mail box on Friday and found a box of cards.  A 400 count box!!  A bit of overkill in my opinion, maybe they felt bad and sent a box as a gesture.  I don't know, but I guess I can count myself lucky to have an extra storage box.

As what's going to be the norm of my future COMC purchases, I've begun picking at some sets.  Card by card, one each from the following sets...


1959 Topps.  Still a long way to go, 95 cards to finish the set.  But I don't expect to finish this off for quite a while, so 1 at a time is good enough for me.  Orlando Pena cost me just 89 cents, which is probably cheaper than most of the other cards I need to finish the set.  But buying one at a time keeps the set in my mind until I get around to focusing more on it.


1972 Topps still has over 300 cards on my want list, but I've heard all the "watch out for the pricey higher numbered cards" discussions, so I figured I'd start in at least on the semi-high numbers.  Chuck Dobson cost me only 65 cents, and again, sticking with one of these per order until I get around to working on this will reduce the want list, even if it is only gradually.

Now the Dave Winfield RC you see here didn't cost me less than a buck, but for just under $15 I have the other big rookie card I needed for my '74 Topps set.  There aren't any really high $ RC's left on my 85 card want list (Bucky Dent and Manny Trillo are the only "names" left), but there's plenty of star power on the list still to pick up.  This is on the radar during 2020 and there's only a handful of sets to go before we focus on this one...


1976 Topps is next up, and as you'll see tomorrow, '83T is done, and I've also finished '79T and 2012-13 OPC hockey this weekend.  Aside from the Monge/Lerch RC in the upper right corner, lots of big names on these 6 cards, and there's still a few more names to go.  But with just 13 cards to go, I'm hoping to have this done by the time the April card show rolls around.  Once this is done, then it's time for '73 Topps.

Oh baby....

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow-- congrats on finishing the 79 and 83. I am still knee deep in them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Winfield rookie. That was one of the first cards I targeted when I returned to the hobby. I was surprised how affordable they have become. Under $15... that's such a good deal compared to the early 90's.

    ReplyDelete