Sunday, March 8, 2020

Factory sets: something new for me

So for the first time ever I own a factory set of Topps baseball.  I received this for Christmas this year...


As you can see, it's still sealed.  I've toyed with the idea of opening it since Christmas Day, but the wording on the box is a killer.

Includes 1 Exclusive Chrome Rookie Image Variation Card
700 Cards Includes series 1&2 plus 5 Rookie Image Variation Cards.
Temptation is going to get the better of me.  So let's do it.   Cracking the box.  So when I first open it I notice that the variation cards and the chrome are separated and at the end of the box.  Makes my life a whole lot easier!

The Chrome card is the same one that is pictured on the box, Fernando Tatis Jr.  Not sure if it's supposed to be that way, but no worries here.


Nice photo of him getting his wrists taped up and ready for battle.  Next I see the 5 card pack in clear cellophane, and look who's sitting right on top.


 Yep, that certainly made my day!!  Now I must crack the pack open and see the rest inside.

One thing I do like before I move on to showing off the other 4 cards, is the back.  A little difference below the card number that I definitely like...


Love how it shows "complete sets" below the card #.  Makes it easy for a rookie like me to spot the difference.  I'll give kudos to Topps for doing that.  Topps also didn't just use any rookies for the photo variations, they included 4 other big names along with VGJR.



No Polar Bears last year


So after scanning all these and placing them in sleeves/top loaders, I start to look through the factory set.  Remember, this is the first one I've owned, so this is all new to me.   Here's what I noticed...

  • The cards are out of numerical order.  Weird.  But I'm pretty sure I remember that someone has mentioned this on the blogs before with past factory sets.
  • Aaron Judge, card # 150 was at the beginning.  VGJR, card #700 was at the end.  
  • The cards were also put into the box kind of funky.  10 cards up, 10 cards down.  2 blocks of 60 cards, one in the middle and one at the end, were all in the same direction.  
Still, this was fun to open and look through, and now I have some rookie card variations that hopefully someone will want to trade for.  

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert
 

7 comments:

  1. I saw a factory set when I was a youngster. I don't remember who bought it. But I enjoyed the hell out of going through it. And that was before they made 47 different factory sets or even before they added extra exclusive cards to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target had a sale on these back in December, so I picked one up and opened it. I remember spending an hour or two sorting them and putting it into numerical order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in '81, I'd get two of the three sets all in one shot, and then build the other one. Sometimes they were hand-collated, and sometimes they were in factory boxes. It would be interesting to see how they are/were packed.

    I like inserts too much to get factory sets these days. I could have tried that in 2013 and 2018 when I hated the inserts, but it was too easy to get a base set from fellow collectors in trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be interested in trading for the Tatises if they're available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. send me an email Gavin, I'm sure we can work something out!

      Delete
  5. So, does every box have the same five rookies in that pack, or did you just luck out and get all of the good one's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that they have the same 5, but I can't say for sure.

      Delete