Monday, November 2, 2020

TCDB Trade Week #3: fordwaters

 I returned today from a much needed vacation in South Carolina to a mountain of mail.  Not complaining of course, but there's a lot of stuff to go through.  Because of this, I decided to do another trade week on the blog, also because I've been really slacking on the writing for the last month and trade weeks usually get me going for a few days.

One of my favorite TCDB ID's belongs to Ford, a 2nd time trade partner.  His ID is quite simple, it's his name, fordwaters.  It reminds me of someone who should either be on the radio, or writing/performing country music.

Never the less, I managed to add 8 cards to my 1986 Topps football set with this trade.  There's still quite a long way to go, but its still nice to add some cards to the set kind of quickly...


I divided the post of 8 cards into 3 scans.  On the first scan, I remember 2 of the 3 players pictured, Schroeder and Fred Marion.  I couldn't remember Robert Jackson of the Bengals, but he'd been playing for a handful of seasons with the club by the time the '86 set rolled around, so apparently I wasn't paying enough attention to the AFC Central at that time.


Now these 3 Hall of Famers were a welcome addition on the trade front, as I'm usually getting commons to start sets and wind up finishing the sets with purchases of rookies or high end stars.  Let's mark off LT, Payton and Allen shall we?


Bills and Oilers together instantly remind me of the great comeback by the Bills in the playoffs, down 35-3 only to win the game in overtime 41-38.  Moon passed for 4 TD's in the first half, while Andre Reed scored 3 consecutive TD's to turn what was a 35-17 deficit into a 38-35 lead for the Bills.  The rest as they say, is history.

Big thanks for Ford for the cards, he actually was on his way out of town when I sent him the trade offer and still got them out in the mail the next day.   

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. These are some sharp looking cards, the Payton is one of my faves in the set. And LT had such a monster year in '86. I like the Reed RC, too.

    Oh man that Bills-Oilers playoff game was incredible. I was rooting for Houston so it wasn't fun at the time. I should watch it again now so that I can appreciate the Bills' comeback a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scary part of that comeback is that the majority of it came in the 3rd quarter (28 points)

      Delete
  2. Forgotten piece of trivia: That comeback wasn't led by Hall Of Famer Jim Kelly. Backup quarterback Frank Reich was the man that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kelly was out of the game hurt. Coach Marv Levy challenged Reich in the locker room at halftime to replicate the comeback he made at the U of Maryland.

      Delete