Sunday, November 15, 2020

1 out of the Next 10

As I mentioned on Friday, the Sportlots box order I received knocked out a couple of the want lists on the Next 10 list.  I'm starting with the smallest want list, the 1990-91 OPC set, which was just a pair of cards.


Pronounce Ma-cow-un in case you were curious

I remember Jamie Macoun well, one of the stalwarts on the Calgary Flames blueline in '89 when the Flames beat the Canadiens for the Cup, and then was part of a huge trade with the Maple Leafs a couple of years later that saw 10 players change sweaters (5 each way).  It was hoped that some of the Cup experience that came Toronto's way would help the team succeed and hopefully win that long awaited prize, but it never came to pass.  

Jamie would be traded at the end of his 7th season with the Leafs to Detroit, where he helped the Wings win the Cup.  


It pained me, pained me, to have to buy this card.  At least it was only 18 cents.  But I'll be damned if I could find it among all the doubles I have in my Joe Sakic collection.  It is one of the few cards that features Joe wearing an 'A' on his sweater, as he became captain shortly thereafter and remained with the 'C' on his jersey until his retirement almost 2 decades later.  

Getting on the set completion train in 2020 has helped a lot.  11 sets down, another one to post in the next couple of days and a couple of more that have a handful of cards or less to go.  While it's not the same feeling as finishing a vintage set such as '64 Topps baseball, it still feels good to get a set that's been in a box for a long time done.

Moving on!

Enjoy the hobby.

Robert


1 comment:

  1. Nice Sakic. I feel the same way whenever I'm building a set and I discover I need a Gwynn, Maddux, or Henderson card and I can't find a copy in my duplicate box.

    ReplyDelete