Saturday, November 14, 2020

Cards on top of Cards on top of Cards

I mentioned on the blog a few weeks back that I had started out to collect the '86 Topps football set.  I liked the design and outside of the Jerry Rice RC, there didn't appear to be anything there that would break the bank.

Long time fellow blogger Kerry reached out via email and said he had a bunch of the '86s from a Goodwill purchase he had made and wanted to know if I was interested.   You better believe I was.   After a delayed response on my part saying that I had some A&G inserts that he needed to send his way, we agreed to an exchange.


This page of 9 is just part of the block of 47 cards from the '86 T FB set that I was expecting.  Kerry had something else in mind....

While I was out of town the last week of October, a friend of mine was staying at our house and told me that there was a box that came priority mail for me.  After scratching my head, I asked for a picture of the box so I could figure out who sent it.

It was Kerry.   This was big.

Not only was there 47 Football cards, but there was about 150 A&G cards from various years early on in the set's existence.


26 more cards off of the '08 A&G want list, a set that has come together very quickly.  I'm already down to just 30 cards to complete the set, including the Clayton Kershaw RC.  This isn't even on the Next 10 list, but it may be finished before 1 or 2 that are on there.


The '09 A&G list is quickly becoming one of my favorite sets of the entire run.  I love the colorful backgrounds (green, red and blue mostly) and the box around the players name are features that I really like.  Laziness gets the better of me, as I really didn't feel like scanning all 116 cards from this set (just under 1/3!) to show off.  


2010 A&G is somewhat similar to the '09 as far as the colorful backgrounds, but they took the box off of the subject's name, which for me decreased the appeal just a little.  35 cards came off this want list due to Kerry's generosity.

What I'm really looking forward to is finishing all the A&G sets and comparing the players featured along with the "alternate" subject matter.  When I say alternate, I mean the non baseball players that are featured, along with cards like the Electron in the '09 set that afford an opportunity to learn.

Kerry, great stuff here, thank you very much for the generous package.  It really is appreciated!!

Enjoy the hobby

Robert

3 comments:

  1. I've tried, and failed, three times in recent months to get that '86 Dan Hampton. I'm starting to think that it isn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry found 1986 Topps football at Goodwill? Guess I gotta hit up the Portland Goodwill the next time I'm up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice lot, Kerry is always so generous with his care packages. I have a couple more '86 singles set aside for you, but you might have them now. I'll have to check your list before I send them (was waiting until I had more than two cards for you.)

    ReplyDelete