Monday, August 31, 2020

Happy > Prolific

It's funny what will spark an idea for a post.  I saw this tweet on twitter yesterday from BigDinAZ Cards & Collectibles:

https://twitter.com/BigdinazC/status/1300173095332790272

( I tried to get a screen shot of it on here, but had no luck)

Basically, he was quite happy with his collection of Steve Young cards so far, even though it wasn't prolific.   When I saw it, I immediately tweeted this

Happy > Prolific

Isn't that what a lot of us have been preaching for years?  For some reason, the thought came instantly to my head when I saw that tweet.

There are player collections that I have that I wouldn't consider prolific but I'm happy with what I have so far.  Take my Andrew McCutchen collection so far.  While it's nowhere the fantastic PC of  the Collecting Cutch blog, I'm very happy with what I have to date.  It's now up to 267 cards thanks to Jenny (TCDB ID: JennyMiller) and our quick 4 for 4 trade that netted me 3 cards for the McCutchen collection.


Yes, there's no flash or substance, but in a lot of cases I've added some nice looking cards to the collection.  The Spring Fever card in the middle comes to mind, as I am enjoying my life in Florida now watching the palm trees sway in the breeze.....

But I digress.

All of my player collections will never be prolific, as I'm pretty frugal and will likely not divest in pricey autographs or fancy patches.  But I can easily say that I'm quite happy with what I have so far, and trading to add to the collections via trading has been quite enjoyable. 


I believe that I can honestly say that Happy is greater than Prolific for me.

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. 267 is nothing to sneeze it. Modern guys have so many cards, so it's fairly simple to build a nice collection without adding crazy high end stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more! I think that a lot of people get hung up on the collections that they see on social media/message boards, many of which have been built over a longer period by someone who's usually much more devoted to that player than they are. So instead of just being happy with what they've been able to do, they get all pissy and bitter, which has never done anyone, anywhere, any good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, big congrats on 267. No better guy in baseball to PC. That puts you at #6 on TCDB! That's impressive.

    ReplyDelete