Saturday, August 15, 2020

Serial Saturday #41: Two more Sakic's on the way to 1000

Inspiration struck in a couple of different ways for this post.  Naturally, the pair of serial numbered cards you're going to see shortly, but I've also been buoyed by a pair of bloggers who have recently hit the 1000 card mark for one of their player collections.

A couple of days ago P-Town Tom notified us that he hit the 1000 card mark with his Ryne Sandberg collection with this post celebrating that milestone.  Love that the card he chose from the group that put him over the top glows in the dark, well done!!

While I wasn't aware of the approaching achievement by Tom, AJ's Tino Martinez milestone was more in my radar, as I followed it on Twitter for a while as he counted down to 1000.  AJ's post notifying us all of his accomplishment with this post .  I also liked AJ's choice for 1K, as it was the silver signature parallel from the 2000 UD MVP set, long one of my favorite parallels out there.

I've been collecting Sakic cards since the early 90's, and it is one collection that I never gave up on or decided to pare down or sell.  I did go quite a long time in the early part of the 21st century without adding to it, but since I started blogging almost a decade ago, I've off and on noted the additions to the collection, which now stands at 832 cards, including these 2 serial numbered cards.


If I had a preference for this insert from the 2002-03 Rookie Update set, is that Joe Sakic should have been featured with a younger star player that might have looked up to him as a role model. Otherwise, the card for me is just fine as it's always good to add a serial numbered card to the collection. 


Artifacts is a set that should be right up my alley; serial numbered cards, colorful parallels and lots of rookie and star power.  Alas, the packs are a bit too pricey, and my luck with blasters in the past has been pretty awful for the most part, so I'm pretty much down to buying singles on the secondary market for as cheap as possible. 

Both of these cards hit the mark price wise, each was $1.99.  Maybe it's time for me to get cracking on the Sakic collection a little more on eBay if I can keep finding prices such as these...

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment