Thursday, August 13, 2020

Yes, Virginia, there is still some good in the collecting community

We're a society that focuses on the negative.  For me this is true.  Generally, you'll hear about negative news stories first, and then "if" there are any feel good stories, they're buried at the end of the news program.

Same goes for the card collecting brigade.  There's a witch hunt on twitter now for the guys that hang out at Wal Mart and Target waiting for the card rep to come in and restock the shelves.  I've seen the tweets, giant lots of Chrome and Chronicles and the latest new thing at a sizable mark up.

I'm going to say this now.   You guys that are doing this, you're doing me a favor.  I don't expect to see anything on the shelves anymore when I hit the stores, so my shopping experience is much quicker.  AND.....I spend my $$ on stuff that I'm really looking for.

Case in point, I hit a bunch of Andrew McCutchen cards on ebay recently to take advantage of the 5% bucks promotion.  (I did the same thing with Joe Sakic last week, those posts are coming soon)

One of the sellers actually sent me what I thought was a great note....

New message from: kingpins (7,574Green Star)

Thank you for your purchase and speedy payment. Your package will ship tomorrow. Your shipping and purchase details will be available in the "Purchase History" tab on your eBay summary page. Please be mindful, because of the COVID-19 pandemic and unusual budgetary issues, the USPS is experiencing extreme delays in mail delivery. Please allow a bit of extra delivery time. Thank you in advance, for your patience and understanding. I have left positive feedback for you. After you receive your item, please consider doing the same if you are satisfied. If there is any problems... please let me know. Customer service is a top priority for me.
Be well and take care.
Bill


Ebay has become so impersonal and cold lately that seeing messages such as this is refreshing.   A public thanks to Bill for sending this.   By the way, I only bought one card from Bill for $2.  Very cool indeed!!

Speaking of great stuff, I received an envelope from one of the best traders out there, and I promised him I would give him a plug when I got the cards, even though he's not blogging currently (hoping one day he'll return).  

DDDDDDOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Yes, the legendary Napkin Doon is still out there, and he's on TCDB so I hit him up for a trade.


Nap had 3 more GQ Green parallels that I needed, knocking that want list down to 54 cards.  I've said this probably a dozen times before on the blog, but it still amazes me how fast I've whittled away at this set.

Mr. Doon was good enough to add a couple of Andrew McCutchen parallels from 2014 that I needed for that PC.


These were two more cards that I took one look at and said "I needed these?"  Sure enough they were both on the want list.   Not anymore!!

Thank you Nap for the trade, it's always a pleasure to trade with you!!

Enjoy the hobby, and focus on what's good!!

Robert

5 comments:

  1. Nice trade! He may not blog, but having Napkin Doon on TCDB is enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't get it. Why would anyone go to such lengths for a retail product? I'll grab a few packs if I'm already there...but I sure as hell have no interest in making an exclusive trip to Wally-World or Target for the cards. I'm definitely not hanging out like a creeper just waiting for the rep to maybe show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these people aren't collectors.. They're looking to flip the product online for a quick buck.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout out and the trade. You helped knock out several needs and I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure glad these flippers didn't start this up last year. I loved 2019 Chrome and would have been bummed had I not found a couple of blasters. But this year, cutbacks prevent me from buying retail anyways. I'd much rather buy a card I want over on eBay or buy set fillers on Sportlots.

    ReplyDelete