Sunday, August 23, 2020

TCDB Trade Week: mcg324

Time to get some cards off the desk!!  I have 5 or 6 trades that are sitting on my desk that I've been too lazy to get posted on the blog, so it's time for my 2nd trade week on the blog. 

The last time I did this, I had a reason for doing it.  I was heading out on vacation for a week and didn't want the blog to go cold.  A post a day for 7 days did the trick. 

I have a mixed bag of stuff to show off this week, nothing more than a page worth of cards in any of the deals.  First off is new trade partner Michel (TCDB ID: mcg324) which involved a swap of hockey cards in each direction.


Let's start off with the "I had this card once" chronicles featuring Joe Sakic's card from the 1996-97 Bicycle NHL Hockey Aces card deck.  I know I had a deck of these cards somewhere a long time ago but I'll be damned if I remember what happened to it.  No matter, the Ace of Diamonds is back in my collection again, not to be disappearing anytime soon.


I won't mince any words here.  I LOVE this card.  Love it, love it, love it.  The look on Potvin's face, and the "set up" of his equipment.  I can't say that I remember the Cat having those style of pads, but I think they look incredible, and even though this card features him as a Bruin, this is instantly one of my favorite Felix Potvin cards. 

The remaining 7 cards all feature Mats Sundin, starting with the horizontal Upper Deck Ice card from the mid 90's


I still remember how popular these cards were at McDonald's in Canada back in the 90's.  They were hard to find indeed.


I can still remember how a lot of people in Toronto howled when the Leafs traded Wendel Clark to get Sundin.  Outside of the Calgary trade to get Doug Gilmour, it's probably the biggest Leaf trade that I can remember during my lifetime. 

He only went on to be one of the top 5 Leafs of all time in my opinion.  That #13 looks great in the rafters, it's only a shame that he doesn't have a Stanley Cup ring to go with it.

Have had some luck with trades recently by beefing up the PC want lists, and this trade is certainly part of that.  Thank you for the cards Michel, they are appreciated!!

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. Oh man... seeing that Playoff One on One card sure brings back memories. I went crazy over the rare gold cards from those booster packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see those gold cards much, when I did the prices were high.

      Delete