Saturday, February 15, 2020

Serial Saturday #30: How the mighty have fallen

Managed to grab a couple of more cards for the #'d/99 PC from a twitter seller, both cards combined cost me $3 so naturally, I was happy.  Both of these are footballers, both currently playing, or want to play.  First up is Gerald McCoy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:


Bit of an improvement with the scanner, card doesn't look crooked and it's cropped well.  I'd never heard of the Gold Standard release from Panini until I bought this card, but it's a real nice look and a little bit thicker than your standard card stock.  It's not the brick that the ultra premium brands employ, but still a nice sturdy card.

Gerald is also the 2nd "McCoy" in the collection, as I previously featured LeSean McCoy a while back.  Yes, in case you're both wondering, they're both real.


Would love to know who, or what got into Antonio's head over the past 18 months.  I can't recall a player hitting the skids as fast as he did.  Going to from perennial All-Pro with the Steelers and almost a lock for the HOF to being released by two teams, including the Patriots who specialize in rescuing players careers, within weeks.

This guy is a heckuva football player, he ran great routes in Pittsburgh and caught pretty much anything that came his way.  I hope he gets whatever help he needs to get back on the football field and resurrect his career, because it would be a shame if his career ends with the crash that it did at the beginning of the 2019 season.

These 2 cards bring the collection up to 31 so far, with football leading the way with 11 cards to date.  I have 2 more basketball and one baseball card to come from another Twitter card seller, so the collection is starting to grow nicely.  I just need to start finding some more hockey players on the cheap.

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. "Yes, in case you're both wondering, they're both real." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly hope Brown can bounce back at some point. Bay Area radio covered his train wreck of a season and it got to the point where it was so cringey, I'd have to change the radio station every time they'd talk about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I followed the Steelers for better than a decade, and he was probably the most electric player I watched over that time. A couple years ago, it was as if he had the ball every other play. It's a shame what happened to him with the Steelers, but he made his bed...

      Delete