Sunday, February 9, 2020

A couple of regular trade partners and a new computer get the blog rolling again

I didn't mean to take 9 days off from writing, but the way my old computer had been acting the past couple of weeks, I didn't feel like taking the time to sit and wait for scans to load and having to worry about the computer crashing, so I waited until this weekend when I had an entire day planned with my buddy who builds computers.  I had been buying pieces and parts of a new computer for several weeks now, and yesterday was the day he put it together for me....after the monthly card show and a trip to Skyline Chili!!

Now I'm sitting in front of a TV screen instead of a computer monitor, and a machine that's faster than anything I've ever used.   Spoiled :)

Now onto the business at hand.  Business is picking up again on the trade front.  Lots of little trades coming in, but they're pecking away at several different want lists.

First up is Jimmy from the west coast (TCDB ID:torcato) who sent me a follow up trade offer to the one we made just a couple of weeks back.


1983 Topps football for my computer building buddy to start.  We actually knocked a few cards off of that want list at the monthly card show yesterday, grabbing such goodies as the Marcus Allen RC, Mike Singletary RC, and a Walter Payton.  His list is slowly disappearing as it is down to 68 cards.


Trying different scans out on the scanner editor; it's the same scanner, but now that I'm using Windows 10, the editor looks different.  But so far so good, as the scan for these 2 pair of cards looks pretty good!


Last up is 3 more cards that I decided to scan all in one row, instead of having the horizontal card below the 2 verticals.  Doesn't look too bad.  These 7 cards are the second largest inbound envelope I've received in the past few days.

Next up is 4 cards from another multiple time trade partner Bill (TCDB ID: minibbcards).  Bill always takes the A&G or GQ minis off my hands, and sends something great my way.


My end of the trade was this trio of 2017 A&G cards.  Still a long way to go to finish off this set, as I'm barely past the halfway mark at 179 cards, but there's no hurry (my want list for this is on the TCDB website if you have any extras lying around).   But in true Bill fashion, he slips in an extra vintage card for me to bring a smile to my face.   This time, I'm able to knock one more card off the '69 Topps want list.


Bill Stoneman brings me to just 2 cards shy of the 200 mark for my '69 set, which isn't a priority at the present time, but I won't scoff at any that happen to come my way!

Thank you both to Jimmy and Bill for the trades, the cards are really appreciated!!

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

8 comments:

  1. a) I need a monthly card show
    b) I need a buddy who builds computers
    c) That 1983 football set. No plans to build it but it looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A) I'm spoiled, there's actually 2 each month a week apart
      B) I got lucky when I moved south
      C) It is cool. A bit plain, but very affordable. Marcus Allen RC for $6 is unbelievable...

      Delete
  2. Nice haul and congrats on the new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a) I keep missing my monthly card show, mostly because I buy too much online
    b) I build computers, but Windows 10 is becoming unreasonable to install. Have you heard of S mode? Ye Gods.
    c) I need an '83 Marcus Allen to finish my set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A) I go with my buddy to the card show each month; wife calls it a "
      play date"
      B) Have not heard of S mode. probably don't want to...lol
      C) I'll keep an eye out for an '83 Allen. Surprisingly cheap!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! I've been having issues with my desktop since Christmas, but don't want to spend the money to get a new one. But that's what I might be spending my tax return on this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never ever would have thought about building a computer until I started talking with my buddy about needing a new one a few months ago.

      He sold me on doing something really fast and clean for under $1K, and he did the labor himself in about 3 hours.

      Spoiled I am for sure!!

      Delete