Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Now I know where the Thome cards were

Out of the blue not too long ago I received an offer from another new trade partner, Ora (TCDB: OrainPA) with quite the trade offer.   Ora is a Red Sox fan, and I had a few cards that he wanted.  In return he decided he was going to increase my Jim Thome collection by almost 5%.  When you have just over 500 cards of a player, that's a sizeable increase.


In the lower left is the Pinnacle Inside card from 1998; in doing a little research to see if there was a Jim Thome can (there isn't), I was surprised to learn that Inside ran for 2 years, instead of the 1 that I had thought.


The Topps HD card (Center row right) was thicker than I remembered the set being.  The MVP in the lower right is a set design that I don't remember, I guess 2001 is a set that I haven't come across yet.


I find anytime I come across a Diamond Kings card from the early 2000's, a smile comes across my face.  The artwork on each card is top notch, and the feel of the card is a little like canvas.  Very cool.  I don't have a lot of Thome's cards from later in his career, so it's nice to get a couple base cards from the 2011 showing off his time with the Twins.


You almost got away without seeing a serial numbered card in this post....almost.  The SPx Star Focus card is #'d out of 7000.  The Aficionado card I believe is only the 3rd card from that set that I've owned (it may be one or 2 more than that, I don't exactly remember), but the look is pretty cool as well.  And who doesn't love Crown Royale?  Diecut cards that fancy are always a treat.

547 cards in the Thome collection now.  I remember when I first started collecting him back when I lived in PA, I never thought I'd get anywhere near that number.  There are still hundreds of base cards that I haven't managed to find/trade for yet, so who knows how high this collection will grow!

Ora, thanks for the trade, the cards really are appreciated!!

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. 547 different Thome cards is quite impressive. I was just adding cards to my insert binder and I didn't see many cards of him. I think I overlooked his cards for so many years, but if I see them sitting in dime boxes, I'll grab them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one impressive Thome collection. When he used to play for the Twins I used to think he ran like Frankenstein. Those knees were definitely past their prime...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ora is in the trading group I started out with. Great trader, and right up the road. Best part is, there wasn't any overlap in the Thomes I just sent.

    ReplyDelete