Friday, May 5, 2023

The almost 3 %

I know I unloaded a bit on the blog a few days ago, mostly about my job and the worries I've had about potentially losing.  For any of you who paid attention, I am still employed (thankfully) and quite relieved.  

Believe it or not, I do have a bit of an itch to get writing again; yes, I know I've said this many times on the blog in the past.  Now it's time to put up or shut up.

Going to start a little run of posts about the recent COMC order that I received back in April.  Today is the 68's, 16 cards altogether.


Still not the greatest of scans as I still need to figure out how to not cut off tops and bottoms of cards.  Phil Niekro was probably the biggest spend of this lot at just under $3.  I remember watching Mark Belanger at short for the Orioles in the 70's as my baseball fandom was just beginning to bloom.  1968 was Mark's first full season with O's and he was as light hitting in his early days as he was later on, hitting just .208 



I remember Doug Rader from the Blue Jays first season back in 1977 (funny how it seems I remember that team better than more recent squads).  He wasn't part of the expansion draft; he was purchased from the Padres before the 1977 season and found enough ABs to hit 13HR and have a .240 average.  1977 was his last season in the majors as the Jays released him in March of '78 and his career in the majors ended.



Love the name Bobby Wine.  Nothing more on these 4 cards other than we need more alcohol based player names.   Jimmy Bourbon.  Walt Whiskey.  You know, things that are interesting.

The 16 cards that I received knocked almost 3 % off of the want list.  Not bad, still a lot cards to go, many of which will be out of reach for a long time on this budget based collectors dreams.  But I'll keep on trying to put the set together, and who knows?  Maybe one day I'll get lucky and have a Nolan Ryan Rookie Card gifted to me.

Right.

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Given that 1968 was the year of the pitcher, I'm actually surprised Belanger hit that high. Nice cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good news ... Such an odd set, I'll never get over trying to picture kids pulling these cards out of packs for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really great news about your job!

    ReplyDelete