Saturday, May 6, 2023

6 - 4 - 3 Double play

For me, this is post 2,131.  If it were consecutive games, it would break Lou Gehrig's record.  Is this the Cal Ripken of posts?  Hardly.  But it's another one in the bank.

I didn't hit as much on the '69 Topps want list as I did on the '68s, just 13 cards off.  But still it made a dent.


6 pack:  not bad condition on these cards.  Nothing expensive at all in this group, the Mike Paul high number card was just $1.24.  The Pirates rookie stars card was just half that.  


4 square:  Long time manager Dick Williams in this group managed just over 3000 games in his career, I was too young to remember him as the Red Sox, Angels or A's manager.  But I do remember his time in Montreal, especially losing the 81 LCS to the Dodgers.  Still remember the Rick Monday homer in Game 5 off of Steve Rogers in the 9th inning.


3 in a row:  Love the newspaper style front on the Lou Brock card.  The 10-1 win was a "romp" in the headline but graduated to a massacre in the text below.  Dramatic

I've always liked the '69 All Stars cards as well.  American League in red, National in Green/Blue (hard to tell).  still have to get quite a few more of the bigger name AS cards; that will come in time.

This block of 13 got me over the 75% completion plateau.  155 to go including the Reggie Jackson rookie and last year Mickey Mantle card.  Another set that may take a long time to complete, but still having fun putting it together after over a decade since I started building it.

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work with this set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work picking away on the set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cards especially the Brock WS and Boccabella.

    2,131 posts is an an incredible total! I'm inching my way up to 600 (though I've probably written and deleted another 15-20 over the years)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at 86% for this set, which is pretty darn good for a set I hadn't intended to chase right now, unfortunately I still need all the biggies.

    ReplyDelete