Sunday, May 14, 2023

TCDB Trade 606: Are you ready for some football?

Received a trade offer from Chris after the Leafs won the first round to celebrate the long overdue series win.  Less than two weeks later, I have the cards which I'll show off here, but the Leafs are done and we're waiting for football training camps to start up in a couple of months.

The trade was more hockey centric rather than the football, but I received a nice share of both sports to trim down some want lists.


A couple of different seasons of O-Pee-Chee starts us off.  Funny how things change; Nick Cousins was a Philadelphia Flyer a few seasons ago, and he scores the Game 5 winner to send the Leafs packing.  His teammate, Carter Verhaeghe, was a Leaf for a short time several years ago before they let him move on, and now he's on to the semifinals which will probably start sometime mid-week.


I don't recall ever seeing the Generations card from Fleer Ultra, both I love that they honored the talent from Sweden that has been a part of the Maple Leafs from the 70's until today.  I was very sad to see Borje Salming pass away a few months back; I remember him from my early days of being a Leaf fan anchoring the defense, and being a warrior against a tough Flyers team during their pair of Cup winning seasons in the mid 70's.


I'm slowly managing to piece together the run of Topps football sets from the late 60's to the mid 80's.  For the longest time I wasn't really interested in building these sets, but now over the course of the past few months I have had some fun starting to put them together, and reminiscing about the players from the 70's and 80's that brought a lot of memories back.  I've only recently started the 1980 Topps set which are seen here with the Cliff Branch/Mark Cotney cards.  10% done on this one, a long way to go but no hurry because of all the other sets I'm trying to put together.  

Thank you for the trade Chris, it is appreciated!

Robert

3 comments:

  1. Oh no...Cousins and Verhaeghe? Did I jinx the Leafs? :O

    Happy to trade with you and help with some set builds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well Chris, thank you again. No worries about the jinx, all in good fun, and in good trading!

      Delete