Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The 5 and dime

I got lucky figuring out a title for this post.  I was going to try and think of something to reflect the year that these cards all have in their names.  1972. But the number of cards just worked out great and here we go with another post.


1971-72 O-Pee-Chee, 5 cards in total.  59 cards remaining to finish the set, almost parallel with the 45 cards that I need to finish my 1959 Topps baseball set.  I've begun to start pecking away at the '59 set here and there (Bill Skowron is on the way from an eBay purchase), and I probably will start to do the same thing with this set.  Each set has a trio of cards that I can think of off the top of my head that will cost $100+ each, so those will probably be the last to come off the books.


The NL pitching leaders card I thought was a steal at $1.34.  Most of the other cards in these 2 1972 Topps scans were at or below that price, including one high number card....


I hunted quite a bit during the last purchase on COMC for cards as cheap as I could get, and the Cesar Gutierrez is one of the few 700 or higher numbered cards I have, and it was just over $3.  I know that over time I'll be spending that kind of money to get of the higher numbers in hand. 

250 cards to go for the '72 set.  Which is just under a third.  Lots of stars to acquire.  Not a lot of money to spend.  Fingers crossed I can get them for cheap.

I wish there was a 5 and dime store I could buy them from.

Robert

4 comments:

  1. I finished the 71/72 Topps set a few years ago. Really needed to get started on OPC at some point. Hard to get motivated on the 70s OPC sets with the pandemic pricing in place. Well, that and BB, FB and BK dominate my local shows. Finished 72T last year when I finally found an Orioles team card that wasn't asking for all my blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hockey cards are really cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Odom is awesome. And that airbrushing on Doyle - eek!

    Love the '71-72 OPcs, especially Boudrais.

    ReplyDelete