Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Maybe one day

First off, Happy Canada Day to all my friends reading north of the border!!  Canada's 153rd birthday today, hope all of you had fun celebrating however you could.

I decided to write a little bit about a group of cards that I've had in the collection for quite a while now, but really haven't been touched.  Kind of the lone wolf in the set build world for me.

1962 Topps.  I bought little bits here and there many years ago in the first few years of the blog, and received a couple of generous gifts from fellow bloggers (CommishBob, don't think I've forgotten your generosity), but since I've moved to the Sunshine State, the '62 set has been the cousin in the back of the photo that nobody ever paid attention to.

I've not added one card to the set in the past 5 years, and I could think for days and not come up with a reason why.  I have 3 '55 Bowmans (with a 4th on the way) and I'm more interested in putting that set together than the '62 set.

It's not like I don't have a good start; I have over 220 cards of a 598 card set, and I have a few star players and leader cards in hand already.


Even though it's creased, it's still Yogi Berra.  I like the look of it and wouldn't replace it even if I did start chasing the set.  This may have come from the Commish, although I don't recall anymore.


Indicative of how a lot of the cards I have so far are, these 3 league leaders cards have borders that are off, some slight creases, but are still well loved.  I looked really quick at the AL Batting leaders card, and saw Elston Howard's batting average in the .340s and thought that he was probably the least heralded of the Yankee Squad in that area.

Love the 4 bats that John Blanchard is easily carrying on his card.  I have the Walter Alston card which features him in front of the bat rack.  You can plainly see that this is well loved also.


When I think of baseball in Montreal, I think of Felipe Alou as the manager.  Yes Dick Williams was quite successful with Expos in the late 70's/early 80's, but Alou quietly and confidently managing the talent in the 90's always comes to mind.  The '94 team will always be the "what if" squad, 34 games above .500 when the season ended, and Felipe's son Moises having an MVP type season playing left field in the Big O.

Maybe one day I will get around to putting up a want list and trying to finish this set up.  But for years, I just haven't been feeling the love for it.

Starting up several other sets might be the cause of that.

Enjoy the hobby!

Robert

5 comments:

  1. I always thought of Yogi as a catcher, but apparently he played in 260 games as an outfielder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blanchard is tremendous! This design still doesn't appeal to me but I can't help but love some of these cards. Yogi presents nicely. I wouldn't replace it either. Miss that guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've seen the '62 Berra before.

    I used to have the Alou card but have since traded it. That sums up the appeal of this set for me. Just doesn't do much for me. Might hold the record for the number of crew cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first Expos manager to pop into my head is Frank Robinson. I think it's because I pulled a few of his 2003 Topps manager cards from these mystery bags I had laying around.

    ReplyDelete