Saturday, January 11, 2020

Serial Saturday #27: Free is good

Advertising apparently works.  The other day I posted about picking up the final card for the '81 Topps set after writing a post about the card a couple weeks before. 

Recently I updated my TCDB profile and added this line
Side collections:  Cards serial #'d/99 that are purchased for less than $2.50
I'm not sure why I added it at the time; I imagine I wanted to get the word out about the collection.  A few days later, I received a trade offer, 3 for 1.   I traded off 3 of the 2019 Topps Gallery Wood border cards (which look great if you ask me) and received this in return.

Art by Carlos Cabaleiro

Now, if I didn't have a few dozen sets in the works currently, this set might have been something I would have gone after.   These are great looking cards, and having this as part of my #'d / 99 collection is a great plus for me.

If I'm Brad Keller, do I really want a card depicting me with my face covered?  That's up to him I guess, but this is definitely a unique add to my collection.   Even better is the serial #...


This is numbered 99/99!  Probably the only one I will ever add to this collection with that number. 

Many thanks to Robert (TCDB ID: golfslocum) for the trade offer, it really is appreciated. 

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Glad I could help out the collection. When I saw that you collected serialed numbered cards to 99, I knew this was one you needed. Also in the future if I find any serialed numbered cards to 99 your probably gonna be the first trader I think of. Love the blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I'll keep 99 in mind for you. How did you decide on this particular number? I'm sure I've missed reading about it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I snagged a card #'d out of 99 at a card show a few months back; and it struck me at how cheap it was to grab the player (Wanna say it was Drew Brees). So I figured I'd run with it and see how many I could get.

      Delete
  3. Love the artwork on this card. Wish I could draw a baseball glove that well.

    ReplyDelete