Sunday, December 2, 2012

My top 25 sets #24: 2010 Topps



Set:  2010 Topps
Number of cards in set:  661 in the base set (not counting update & highlights)
Affordability:  9.. not overly expensive, entire set "books" for $80
Key RCs:  Buster Posey, Jason Heyward
Is the set built?: 100% complete

What I like about this set: I really do like the design.  I like it more than 2011 and 2012, especially the back of the card which uses the team logo in the lower left.  The action shots are quite good as well.

Topps decided to include a lot of short printed cards of retired players in this set, along with the pie variation cards as well. 

What I didn't like about this set:  It's well enough that Topps used a bunch of short printed variations, but short printing the first card of Stephen Strasburg was a little much for some to swallow.

This is another set that will likely fall off of the countdown in 2013. 


Thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. I've always slightly preferred Topps' 2011 offering to 2010, but that's not taking anything away from the 2010 design. It certainly is easy on the eyes.

    That Ichiro you posted is one of my single favorite cards from all of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't care for this set very much. I put it in the bottom 5 of all time Topps sets in fact. That is probably overstating it just a bit, but it's just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This set is certainly colorful, which drew my interest immediately. There was some creativity with some of the cards, too (I still love the Tales of the Game insert set).

    Another set though where Topps had photo issues. It was a step down from 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this set. I like the design and find the photos are generally good.

    It is priced Right - on Black Friday it was going for something like $15 for the factory set over at Dave & Adams.

    ReplyDelete