Saturday, December 1, 2012

Before there were lockouts and strikes: Steve Rogers

75 Topps # 173

One of these days, I am going to sit down and read this blog from first post to last, just so I can appreciate this set more from another perspective.

Even though I decided to post Steve Rogers' 1975 Topps card, my main memory from his career is him giving up the game winning home run in the 1981 NLCS to Rick Monday.  That broke a lot of hearts in Montreal, because that team was very young and talented, especially in the outfield with Dawson, Raines and Wallach (Wallach did not take over 3rd base in Montreal until 1982 when Larry Parrish was traded to Texas for Al Oliver).

Scary stat:  In the 1974 season, Rogers started 38 times, and earned a decision in 37 of those starts (15-22).  Usually starters that pitch that many times in a season will have anywhere from 5-10 no decisions; I cannot recall any other pitcher with that many starts having only 1 ND. 

Before there were lockouts and strikes, there was Steve Rogers.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. Hee. Hee. Every time I see a Steve Rogers card, I think of '81 and do a little happy dance.

    ReplyDelete