Monday, December 10, 2012

My top 25 sets #16: 1976 Topps baseball



Set 1976 Topps
Number of cards in set: 660
Affordability: 6.5
Key RCs:  Dennis Eckersley
Is the set built?:   Just started, see below...

What I like about this set:  The fronts are color coded, similar to the '75 set.   The set size at 660 cards is comprehensive enough to include most of the players from all 24 MLB teams.  The ball on the back which contains the card number, along with the bat is a unique combination that I don't remember on too many Topps issues  (Topps has put the card number in a baseball before..)  The cartoons on the back are interesting, but depict historical records instead of information about the player on the card. 

What I don't like about this set:  The dark green back section that contains the stats, which are written in black ink, can be very difficult to read in poor lighting.  The lot I bought doesn't really contain any action shots...though that may change as I collect and discover more of this set.

This set was a late addition to the countdown, but merits a strong position for the simple fact that it is a simple and classic set.  I still haven't organized the box of cards that I received in November, but I figure that my set is about 30% complete.  The affordability score drops because there are a lot of star cards ( I count 16 of them) in the set that are $10 and up.  This is going to be a fun challenge as well to put this set together, and if I can get lucky and get a couple more lots as cheap as I did the first one, then the set will not break the bank.

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. This is a set that I want to start one of these days. It is my favorite design of the 70s and features some all-time greats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a ton of really nice common singles. Email at QAPLAGCA at yahoo. Member of SCF and Yahoo Trading Bases

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your lucky day. I bought a 3000-count box of cards at a garage sale. It was almost 50% 1976 Topps....including stars. I have multiple Ryans, Bretts, and even an Eck. I have lots of the commons, too. Condition is all over the place...some great, some bad. Don't know how important that is to you on vintage. Let me know what you need and I'm sure we can work out something reasonable for a lot of those.

    ReplyDelete