Friday, December 14, 2012

My top 25 sets #12: 2002 Topps Gallery


Set  2002 Topps Gallery
Number of cards in set: 200
Affordability: 9
Key RCs:  Joe Mauer
Is the set built?:   100% complete

What I like about this set:  The art.  The explanation doesn't get much simpler than that.  I've long been a fan of cards that are produced from drawings, and this set is no stranger to that love.  The art is first rate, as you can see from the Jim Thome card above.  The set is also smaller in size, which made it easier to complete.

What made this set really interesting for me as a collector were the backs of the card.  The backs had a lot of the regular elements you might see, team logo, bio/height/weight/age of the player, but the stats were quite unique.  There was only one years worth of stats, which was the 2001 season, broken down by month.  Definitely a different take on stats, but kind of fitting because you didn't see sets that were as different as Topps Gallery was.

What I don't like about this set:   Call me finicky.  300 cards would have made this set that much better. 

This is a set that I would have fun putting together again if needed.  The cards weren't too hard to obtain, and there were a few SP veterans/HOFers that added to the appeal of the set as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Great set. I think I only have a select few I got on COMC.

    ReplyDelete