Monday, February 20, 2017

Being realistic

I've developed a real strong appreciation for vintage cards during the 5 1/2 years of writing this blog.  I'm just about finished with the '64 Topps set, I have a good start on sets from '62, '68 and '70 and I have a decent amount of cards from the '67 and '69 sets.  Oh, and let's not forget about '59

Those half a dozen sets by themselves are going to cost a pretty penny to finish.  RC's such as Nolan Ryan, Rod Carew, Reggie Jackson and others are going to cost a small fortune, not to mention having to find cards of Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. 

Yikes.

So when I saw today that Gavin from the Baseball Card Breakdown blog is starting a '57 Topps set, it got me to thinking....

How in the world will I be able to finish every set that I've ever bought cards for?  The simple truth is I won't be able to.  No how, no way, fuhgedabboutit.

So, depending on what Gavin thinks about the cards below, he may have himself a few '57s to add to his set build.



'57 is a beautiful set simply because it's simple.  Would I love to build it?  Oh my God yes.  

I just don't think it's in the cards. 

I'm hoping that Gavin will want them.  Temptation is just too great.  That's being realistic....

Thanks for reading, Robert

6 comments:

  1. The thought of completing any pre-1970 set is almost overwhelming to me. Best of luck on all those ones you're tackling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm a set collector I gave up on the concept of completing every set years ago. There's just too many cards I can't afford...I refuse to go over $20 for a single card most of the time. I just get as many as I possibly can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 1957 Topps set is such a great looking set! Such a simple design, but such a great look to the set. Love seeing the old ballparks in the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to spend more time looking at 57. They are great looking. They seem to haave more of a Kodachrome look to them then other sets. And I agree with Daniel about the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very grateful you'd consider passing those 57s on to me, and I'll do my best to put together a dynamite return package for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I applaud anyones effort to tackle these early sets. Good luck Robert and Gavin!

    ReplyDelete