Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My top 25 sets #21: 2011 Allen & Ginter



Set:  2011 Topps Allen & Ginter
Number of cards in set:  350 (300 base + 50 SPs)
Affordability: 9.5 (base only), 8.5 (base + SPs)
Key RCs: Freddie Freeman, Brandon Belt, Jeremy Hellickson
Is the set built?:  100% complete

What I like about this set:  The front of the card features a clean white border, nothing fancy at all about it.  The team logo is displayed in the lower right corner, but doesn't take over the card.  The back of the card has stats that are different to say the least.  Instead of numbers, each individual stat is listed with the words.  For example, 217 is listed as "two hundred seventeen'.  For me, it's what sets Ginter apart from GQ.

What I don't like about this set:  The code card parallels are a pain in the ass.  For a collector such as myself who collects a specific team as well as the full set, it's a pain to have to chase more cards.  The minis I also can do without, for the same reason as the code cards. 

Other than that, 2011 A&G was a set that was a  joy to collect and complete.  The SPs that appear at a rate of 1:2 packs are attainable and shouldn't blow out a collector's budget. 

This set may or may not hang on next year,  but it has a better chance than the previous 4 sets to do so.

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. Only saw this cards on the web, but the other day got 2 packs and in person they look even better!

    The stats on the back is the thing I don't like. Reading big numbers by word is not that easy than by numeric format.
    I'd prefer a back more similar to the T206 set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way they did the stats, it gives the set a "refined" feel.
    When my mom asks me if there's ever any particular "type" of baseball cards to get if she ever wants to pick me up a couple of packs, I always mention A&G or GQ.

    ReplyDelete