Tuesday, June 13, 2023

High Number, High Number, Hi #, etc. etc.

Been waiting a few days to write this post.  I managed to get 5 of the high numbered cards off of the '59 Topps want list into the house about 10 days ago.  I never thought at the beginning of 2023 that I'd be taking a whooping stick to the wants for this set that have been on the list for years.   Grabbing these cards all from the same seller for a little over $42 was worth the budget busting.

I decided to scan the 5 cards individually, instead of the group at one shot.  A small spelling error on the Mike Cuellar card starts us off.  

The 2nd rookie card of the post is Rodolfo Arias. he of the White Sox.  The cartoon on the back said that a publisher in Havana, Cuba gave Rodolfo $1000 for the no hitter he pitched against Rochester in the International League.  


RC #3 is of Jim Perry, the older brother of Gaylord Perry.  Jim's Major League career started in 1959, winning 12 games and finishing 2nd in the Rookie of the Year voting behind Bob Allison.  Willie McCovey was the unanimous ROY in the National League


Tom Morgan spent his career primarily as a relief pitcher for a handful of teams.  He was also the cheapest of the 5 cards pictured, just a few cents under $6



The back of Frank Malzone's All Star card does him justice by listing all the defensive categories he led.  Games played, Putouts, Errors, Assists, Double Plays and Fielding Percentage.  1959 was the third of 3 consecutive gold gloves that Malzone earned, along with 3 straight years with some MVP votes and a trio of all star games.

37 left to finish the set.  I do have some reasonably affordable cards still on the list.  Stay tuned.

Robert


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. this is probably the longest run of pickups for '59 Topps in a long time. I'm hoping that I can find a few of the big names for good prices...

      Delete
  2. One of these days I'm going to pull the trigger and track down one of those Malzone All-Stars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I paid around $8 for it. Pretty good deal for me

      Delete
  3. Perry and Cuellar are two pretty big rookies. Looks like they're in good shape, too! Nice pickups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end, I think this purchase proved to myself that I can start spending a little bit more $$ to acquire the bigger cards. Although now it's likely going to be 1 or 2 at a time.

      Delete
  4. Never realized that Topps goofed up Cuellar's name the same way twice! ... Feels great knocking off those high numbers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Cuellar rookie card. I learned more about him a few years ago when I added him to my left handed Cy Young Award winner autograph collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the 20 win club in Baltimore if I remember correctly

      Delete