Saturday, June 24, 2023

Hanger Box Delight

Every once in a while, I will buy a retail pack or 2 off the shelves, just to give me something to open.  Nothing serious, just something to rip and put up for trade on the TCDB website.  

Today, I decided to grab a hanger box of 2023 Heritage.  I've seen a few here and there on the blogs and I've liked what I've seen.  Why not?


Having finished the '74 set a couple of years ago (maybe more), I liked looking at these, and being able to put the cards on the scanner bed without having to adjust them to fit the various cuts and such that the set featured over the years.


I kind of like some of the action shots that I see, Hunter Dozier comes to sight right away with the umpire in the background awaiting the throw that's inevitably coming towards first base.  Adam Cimber's pitching motion provides a great option for the horizontal view, seeing the ball leave his hand and it still being in the shot looks really good to me.


The mix of pitching and action shots blend well with the still photos.  Posed shots like Oscar Gonzalez take me back to the 70's, and interesting poses like the Kyle Schwarber card are a nice change as well.  


I only received one insert in the box, the New Age Performers of Nolan Gorman from the Angels.  I thought it was interesting that the insert card has an RC logo on it.  I thought RC's were base cards only?  I guess things have changed and I just haven't been paying attention

Now those who have bought hanger boxes know that there are 35 cards inside, packaged much like a small deck of playing cards.  You've seen 34 cards so far, so here comes the Hanger Box Delight.  It delighted me so much that I immediately showed the missus, my best pull out of a pack in a long time.


Steve Carlton Red Ink auto, #54/74!!!  That is truly a holy shit moment for me.  An on card auto as well.  I'm certainly not going to run out and buy more modern product, but it was nice to get a little bit of luck out of a $12 box.   

Robert

10 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing pull! I do love the red ink autos, though rarely do I see any of guys as good as Carlton. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee whiz. I've bought so much Heritage this year I have most of the cards you pulled memorized, but I haven't come close to pulling anything like that Carlton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa!! Your next purchase should be a lottery ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's a sweet pull.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pull! One of the all-time great pitchers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the big get!

    ReplyDelete