Sunday, February 26, 2023

Dollar box diving Part 3

I had meant for this post to be up on the blog mid-week, but an illness took me out for a few days.  But now we're back up and running.  Scanned a few cards today, and I'm happy with what I was able to acquire to put a small dent into the 70-72 Topps baseball want lists.  


Apparently I had the jitters when I was loading these 9 cards onto the scanner bed, but you get the idea of what I picked up.  Nothing real big time here, but it was nice to get an AL playoff card into the collection.  Still a long way to go to finish the 1970 set, just under 300 cards to go.  


1971 Topps hasn't been on the back burner for a while, it's been right off of the stove.  So when I started seeing these cards come up for a dollar apiece, I felt a bit of sympathy for the set, and a dozen cards have been added, including a few high-numbered cards.  


Now seeing these cards with a lot of dinged corners you're probably wondering what the excitement was to purchase them.   I know that this is a set that's going to take a very long time to finish and worrying about perfect condition for high-numbered cards at a cost of $1 was going to be silly.  Get them in, get the total number of cards to 299 out of the monster 752 card set, and move on.  


I've been jealous for a while; having seen a few people on Twitter complete this beauty of a set has me wanting to move on this 1972 Topps set for a few weeks.  Then I look at where I am (67% complete) and become aware of the fact that we're still a LONG way off.  Still, 7 cards off the list, 6 of them in the 600-699 # range still has me feeling a bit better about where I am.  

Still lots of sets I'm working on, I've also been on a bit of an A&G run lately to try and finish the 2006-2021 run.   

That is at least something that's achievable for me.

Robert


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wouldn't be a 70's post without some airbrushing going on!

      Delete
  2. A set collector's work is never done. Yeah, if I was super-concerned over condition I'd still be collecting the '71 set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed a lot of the '72 Rangers cards have players posing from that same angle, with the hat tilted so the logo doesn't show. (Gogolewski is one of the few I've seen that doesn't) I'm guessing Topps asked Pina (and Burroughs, Howard, McClain, etc.) to pose that way, knowing the Senators were moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on the same sets. I'm getting close on the '71 but definitely not concerned about some chips and corners with that set.

    ReplyDelete